Feasibility of landing a quant job as a fresh master of physics grad

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by TauLepton, Oct 9, 2017.

1. sle

sle

It's awesome that you have graced us with your virtual presence, then :)

I could not care less if you have a track record (institutional or otherwise), I was simply referring to the fact that you want someones account statements as a proof of ability. All I am saying is that the thought process that's acquired in the buy-side institutional finance is very different. Even if the strategies could be similar (they mostly aren't, but that's a separate subject), the thought structure is very different.

#41     Oct 24, 2017
  2. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

I was hired off the street a high school dropout by a fund that managed Wal-mart family money, a good 15 years before even a basic computer class was offered in colleges anywhere.

My interview that catapulted me above all the mensa members in line, was calling in trades on the 500 dollar a point sp's in the day for a few weeks. I was lucky enough to have been discovered by a very large trader who mentored me "because" I had the passion and programming abilities, also I could repair and troubleshoot hardware all while trading.

Education has zip to do with what really matters in institutional finance, making money is king. We hire these kids to produce fancy "pitch books" and keep up with the joneses of trading dynasty's. Bank's are the useful place for upcomers, I highly recommend Chase or BOA.

#42     Oct 25, 2017
  3. sle

sle

Not to sound condescending, but how well do you know the modern quantitative trading landscape? It's a very different world now from 20 years ago.

#43     Oct 25, 2017
  4. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

once i was the only non-mensa, non-principle, in a well known large firm. so i got over my fear of people with appellations and post-nominals. making money trumps everything.

phd's now are like jewelry at firms who principles are still using channel breakouts and moving average crossovers. i fell into the same trap speaking from experience. i keep things in perspective by remembering i am not an employee, i am a employer.

#44     Oct 25, 2017
  5. Sig

Sig

Just some food for thought...I have hired a number of millennials. I generally have a very deep pool of insanely qualified people with a ton of real world experience far more than my contemporaries and I had at that age. Once hired they dive in with both feet and require far less direction and hand holding than my generation was provided. Given the choice of hiring someone from my generation and a millennial I'll generally go with a millennial unless there's a network/rolodex I need access to which you just build up over time.
    The key thing about millennials though, is that the good ones have realized they don't have to work for assholes. So they don't even apply when it looks like the job will require them to work for or with assholes. I say this in the most constructive way possible, and you may be the most helpful, mentoring, friendly guy in the world but in just the few short sentences you've put down here you come off as a "grumpy old man", "kids these days are lazy and worthless" asshole. If that impression leaks out here then it probably leaks into everything you do and say. So you are getting the lazy and worthless kids because the good ones are coming to work for people like me and not even responding to you. You've inadvertently set up an adverse selection which is detrimental to you and don't even realize it.
    Again, just food for thought. You may be a great person. You may truly believe the good "kids these days" ought to be thankful to work for you. But it's a free country and you're probably getting exactly what the free market is allowing, which is that you get the bottom of the barrel. I find that many of my problems have been staring at me in the mirror for days/months/years; you may as well.

#45     Oct 25, 2017
  6. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

don't disagree with anything you have said, except i have never run across self starter millennials in my entire life. they act like self starters until they get logged into facebook and then try and keep you at a distance by buffaloing you into thinking you're old and stupid.

what i have found is that mature women who's kids are grown and have kids of their own are the best and most stable workforce. down to earth, been around the block, cool under fire, dependable and most important they have respect honor that few if any millennial's have. i can go on to say they are also willing to learn, don't know everything, not revamping your whole company, considerate, dedicated and mindful to just name a few superlatives.

you're right i am a grumpy old man with a dry sense of humor and no patience for entitled buttercups whose feelings might get hurt for the least of reasons. thankful for what i know.

closing comment "knock yourself out" i don't have the time. lol

#46     Oct 25, 2017
  7. Sig

Sig

Just an FYI, people in their 40s Facebook. Millennials only maintain a Facebook account so they can communicate with the over 40s in their life. It helps to actually be able to communicate with a generation if you hope to have them drive value for you.

Also, keep in mind that a million plus millennials have put their life on the line over the past few years serving in the military. There's more than a few men and women who've worked for me that you probably wouldn't call "buttercups" to their face, or ever if you knew them. You're stereotyping an entire generation based mostly on what you hear from a bunch of other grumpy old men and a couple bottom of the barrel types you were able to garner. That's not only unfair, it's an idiotic business practice. Sounds like it's getting time for someone to retire!

Also BTW, I actually couldn't agree more on returning to the workforce mom's, they make up the rest of my workforce.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    #47     Oct 25, 2017
  8. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

now not only is this unfair but it's the type tactic i see the far left use all the time. try and put words in my mouth and discredit me by linking my total and justified disdain for millennials to people who serve in the military.

i have the utmost respect for all official military members and especially to the non official unsung hero's who supported troops without fanfare like air america and many other spooks.

to me military members are classified as just that and nothing else and fine people they are. i have not been so fortunate to see many in the financial industries who weren't already running companies that is.

oh and ps: retirement is for people who have a job. not in the mind of passionate people pursuing what they love to do. maybe some mirror looking there yourself.

#48     Oct 25, 2017
  9. Overnight

Overnight

If that were really true you'd hire me, a high-school dropout, a good 16 years before I understand what the markets are really all about. I can fix hardware on the fly as well, that was my forte' for 20 years. What do you say? Take a chance on me, ABBA? Do you really believe in what you are typing?

I am going to presume, "Nope".

P.S. Based upon your crusty attitude, I am guessing you are either a Gen-Xer or a Baby Boomer.

#49     Oct 25, 2017
  10. Sig

Sig

I'm retired military. I served with a bunch of millennials who were anything but "buttercups". I have earned the right to point out that that your stereotyping of all millennials was incorrect. I might also point out that a bunch of said millennials have done their tour and are now working in the finance industry. If you don't see them then the problem is you, not their entire generation. Sorry this has nothing to do with politics, unless maybe you're accusing liberals of generally being opposed to stereotyping, in which case I'm a liberal and guilty as charged.

#50     Oct 25, 2017
    Overnight likes this.