Fear of quitting trading and getting a job...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by maxpi, Apr 16, 2010.

1. NoDoji

NoDoji

Why does everyone think just because trading provides gobs of money, fast cars, and beautiful wives/children, that working for "the man" can potentially cause psychological damage of such magnitude that you'll rapidly be reduced to a blubbering idiot in solitary confinement at the Institute for the Very, Very Nervous?

Maxpi, I recommend you stop trading at once, PM tomdavis and get some of the meds he's taking to help calm you down, then get out there and experience the joy of bosses from hell, coworkers from purgatory, and discovering your sandwich of $20/lb organically grown grass-fed free-range buffalo and $22/lb Fiscalini cheddar is missing from the break-room fridge.

#11     Apr 17, 2010
  2. clacy

clacy

Why don't you do both. Get a job in say retail, where you would work afternoons/nights/weekends. Trade in the am before work. That way you keep your skills up (trading), as well as generating trading income.

Then you have your job, where you can socialize and gain some satisfaction from "being productive" (somewhat).

#12     Apr 17, 2010
  3. Lethn

Lethn

I wasn't going to say anything but I've decided to throw in my opinion just for the hell of it.

You're very lucky to have a job especially in this recession, why not make trading a secondary job and use it to earn extra cash along with your normal career? If I had the damn option that's what I'd be doing and it would make my life easier, but I'm actually having to learn how to trade full time because as someone who has fuck all on my resume/CV I'm at the very bottom of the list of millions my age looking to get a job so I'm having to look at all the skill based ideas I can to make money.

Don't throw your job away, go and trade by all means if that's what you want to do but unless you get seriously confident and are making hundreds of thousands a year without blinking I wouldn't dare do that myself and I'm a crazy bastard trying to turn trading into a real living on its own.

#13     Apr 17, 2010
  4. Unless you are doing it from a prop shop or similar environment, it is a lonely endeavor and you end up here on ET making "lonely delusional posts". Man is not an "island". Get out there and mix it up.

#14     Apr 17, 2010