Fear of quitting trading and getting a job...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by maxpi, Apr 16, 2010.

1. maxpi

maxpi

I have this nice steady income but I want more from life. I'm thinking of getting a job but I'm scared. What if the boss doesn't like my hairstyle? What if the bitchy American women that don't want to work get it in for me? Can anybody give me some advice here?

2. hayman

hayman

Well, what are U looking for ? More social interaction ? A wife ? More Job Satisfaction ? Something other than making money ? Here are some suggestions:

- More Social Interaction - Join some clubs or social groups that
    cater to your non-trading interests;

- A Wife - Get out there and start dating. Consider using some of
    the more prominent online web dating services perhaps;

- More Job Satisfaction - Ask yourself what you are inclined to do,
    rather than trade, and pursue it through a return to school or
    actual job interviews (if you have the requisite skilss);

- Something other than making money - how about some volunteer
    work ? Local hospitals, hospices, nursing homes, etc., are always
    willing to take on a caring soul. Perhaps helping others, is what
    you need to help yourself.

Personally, I like working for myself, without the hassle of corporate life, but money can be a struggle at times. Seriously, only you can make the call on this.

3. LeeD

LeeD

Think of the downside. If you have been successful trading and you don't like the new job, you'll just go back to trading.

If the boss doesn't like your haircut, you won't get a job offer.

If you have a few friends who work in the industry you want to join, there is no harm asking them if the company has an opening. Not only a good reference from a friend can increase chance to be hired but also they may provide insight into how the company works.

Companies that pay more and employ more people are often a better place to work. The disagreement at work will be about the size of the bonus and not whose turn it is to buy coffee.

4. If you have steady income and are looking to get out more and interact, try volunteering somewhere when the trading day is over (like hayman suggests).

5. I think maxpi was kidding........

6. I know what you mean. I trade 20-30 hours a week, make gobs of money, live two blocks from the beach, have a beautiful wife and children; but I feel unfulfilled. After twelve years of psychotherapy I now accept that things are the way they are and there's nothing I can do about it. I'll just have to learn to live with it. Excuse me, I need to go take my meds.

7. maxpi

maxpi

I feel your pain brother. We have crosses to bear and bear them we must!

8. jaireddy

jaireddy

tomdavis, you can mentor me to become as successfull as you, if it will give you some satisfaction :)

9. The transition from self-employment to working for the "man" can be a difficult one, but achievable. I did it for three years and went back to trading, however, you may find it enjoyable to get back into the workforce. There are benefits to both, but a steady paycheck is hard to beat if you are having some lean months trading. As a general rule, women seem to get along better with men than other women in the workplace from my experience (and some can be hard workers).

10. rofl.

Hilarious.

#10     Apr 17, 2010