FCC approve the usage of F--king on TV

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AnonymousTrader, Dec 11, 2003.

1. i can handle it.

for the record, the AnonymousTrader character is the one who got personal first. look on page 1. i will cede that i shouldn't have stooped to his level in return. i don't want to ruin the discussion, BUT I CAN'T STAND CENSORSHIP AND IT DRIVES ME NUTS WHEN PEOPLE SUPPORT IT.

p. s. have to laugh at the censoring in this thread. i know it's Baron's site and his rules, but come on, it's just dumb!

#31     Dec 12, 2003
  2. I received notice of this in my email from the American Family Association. The email also allowed me to send a letter objecting to the use of the F word on public television to various government reps including my local congressman.

Just two days ago I received a nice reply from my congressman, Patrick Tiberi, supporting my objections and detailing the actions being taken by the FCC.

I encourage those of you who object to contact your representatives as well.

And Gordon, for cryin' out loud! What kind of example are you trying to set anymore? You claim to be making money now, so if this is what success has done to you, you were a better person poor.

#32     Dec 12, 2003
  3. I remember in high-school acting arts class, we were allowed to do or say anything that would be found on a prime-time episode or sitcom. So that meant words like hell, damn and possibly "oh shit" muttered under your breath were acceptable.

It is just a word of course, but there has to be some level of standards for television and, to a greater extent, for society as a whole.

#33     Dec 12, 2003
  4. !

#34     Dec 12, 2003
  5. Hmmmm......

Okay GG, lets take this to it's logical conclusion. Do you advocate no censorship of any kind? It is okay to say anything, at any time.
    Is this what I am getting from you?

Regards
    Oddi

#35     Dec 12, 2003
  6. depends on the context. i'm not advocating it be totally acceptable to yell fire in a crowded building when there is no fire.

i am, however, in favor of the government not censoring tv, radio, etc. when stuff is censored, only the pro-censorship people win. they could just change the station, but no, they have to censor stuff and ruin it for the anti-censorship people. if the FCC didn't require things to be censored, BOTH sides can win. people who don't like something can change/not allow the station, and people like me can receive it.

again, i am for either tvs or cable companies making content filtering systems for people who don't want swears, nudity, etc. without a password or something.

anonymoustrader said he doesn't want to buy a new tv. if things were done my way, i would give like a 5 year warning. you have 5 years to get a new tv or cable system, then stuff is not going to be censored. OR, a law could be passed requiring tv/radio makers/cable providers to start making filtering systems built in.

btw, writing letters will not stop the advancement of society, technology, etc.

#36     Dec 12, 2003
  7. A question, do you think our society is more stable , less stable, or about the same as it was 20 years ago?

#37     Dec 12, 2003
  8. i can't answer that question. i don't know the FACTS. i was barely born 20 years ago, so i personally don't know.

most would probably say it's more unstable, but statistically, is it really?? even if it is (btw, what do you mean by unstable?), can you say for sure that it is because we don't have enough censorship!?!?

:confused:

#38     Dec 12, 2003
  9. ElCubano

ElCubano

in your mind....but in the real world you are sooooooooooo far behind you dont even know......really...when you are 40 you will realize what im saying...peace and have a fantastic weekend

#39     Dec 12, 2003
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

TM_Direct....please forward this big fat lie to the Scientist thread......

#40     Dec 12, 2003