FB

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by beerntrading, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Instead of flying airplanes around, why not build a very tall tower?

Or are they really spending money on stupid shit and this plane thing is a cover for that?

#11     May 3, 2017
  2. vanzandt

vanzandt

Thats a good question.
    Perhaps someone should ask Zuck who's going to buy those 4 Billion people computers?
    And why is Elon dead set on colonizing Mars when his home continent is dying of famine and drinking poison water that looks like chocolate milk?
    Beyond me.

#12     May 3, 2017
    DallasCowboysFan likes this.

3. I don't have a lot of confidence in FB or Zuckerberg.

Today, he said he was going to hire 4000 people to supervise the FB videos.
    Somehow, I think 4000 is a random number he pulled out of his butt.

How come he didn't stiffen his backbone and just say that they offer a service for FREE and how people use it is not their responsibility? Anheuser Busch is not responsible for your DUI and GM is not responsible for people that use their cars to rob banks. And FB is not responsible for murders and suicides. Nor is he responsible for the people that watch it and fail to report it. But if he does hire 4000 people, no doubt that they will be from India.

How come he never addresses the fact that 30 percent of the accounts are non active and a significant number of people have two accounts and that young people are not using it as often?

What compels him to think that if he expands the internet to third world nations that it won't get blocked to prevent competition from local, land based providers that are not American?
    And what makes him think that in a world of 7BN people, when 2BN go to bed hungry everyday, that if they have free internet; that they are going to piss away money they don't have for a cell phone to chat with their friends on FB? ......... Hey Omadingo! Check out my FB post of me eating in a garbage dump......This was me yesterday getting a care package from the UN....... Thanks for posting pics of the sheet metal lean-to .......it gave me new ideas for making my own .....

And if it does reach other nations....there is a lot of national pride that compels people to use their own social site. VKontakt is popular for Russia, Bebo in England. ......no doubt there are others in China and India.

I know he went to Harvard. Big deal. I think he had a good idea at the right time and got lucky. I have seen him speak online and heard him give quarterly reports. He doesn't inspire confidence. He tries to be like Steve Jobs, Jobs wore black to work everyday. So Zuckerberg decided he can't wear black because that would be too much like Jobs, so he wears gray t-shirts. .....copycat.

The best thing he has done is hire the right people at the start and they hired more people with good ideas. FB is not where it is today because of Zuckerberg, it's the people that work at FB, not Zuckerberg.

Several years ago there was a popular book called accidental millionaire that profiled Jobs....Zuckerberg is the accidental billionaire........even if he is lucky.

FB has 30BN in cash, have they ever paid a dividend?

Now the punk is talking about running for president in 2020. Wow, he must be surrounded by a lot of a$$ kissing brown nosers if believes that crap. I won't even begin to explain why he has a nano chance of this happening. I saw a pic of him petting a baby goat last weekend. How sweet.

This guy is pretty good at embellishing his goals....he is as good as Trump or Elon Musk.

I just wonder why the talking heads on tv or the print media don't ever call him out on previous remarks he has made that are either unrealistic or have not been achieved. I am going to assume it is because if they do, then they won't get another interview or because the media giants are liberal and he was Hillary Clinton's little biatch.

#13     May 3, 2017
    vanzandt likes this.
  4. vanzandt

vanzandt

:D:D:D .... A baby goat. lmao

#14     May 3, 2017
  5. I didn't want to create the longest, rambling, whining post so I decided to break it into 2 rambling posts. And help Baron increase his post count. ....:)

I know presidents don't write their own speeches, not all of it. But read what he wrote last year that was posted here. Now......compare this to what we see from CEO's from Exxon (Tillerson), IBM, 3M, etc...and how his communication skills and writing skills compare to theirs. And imagine him addressing the nation in a time of peril with these skills ( gawd, I hope he doesn't wear a gray t-shirt). His skills are good for a high school newspaper journalist but not a Fortune 500 CEO and they aren't presidential.

The technology behind Aquila
    Mark Zuckerberg·
    On June 28th, we completed the first successful flight of Aquila -- not very motivational and he alludes to failures of previous flights.....maybe this one was lucky.

our solar-powered plane that will beam internet to remote parts of the world and eventually break the record for longest unmanned aircraft flight. - who cares about remote parts of the world. No one lives there, that is why they are remote. How is that going to make FB money?

The flight took place before dawn in Yuma, Arizona. Our original mission was to fly Aquila for 30 minutes, but things went so well that we decided to keep the plane up for 96 minutes. We gathered lots of data about our models and the aircraft structure -- and after two years of development, it was emotional to see Aquila actually get off the ground. - Boring introduction.....they kept the plane up.....as opposed to down........not airborne or aloft but UP!. It was emotional......pass the Kleenex. It actually got off the ground....did that surprise him? Did he think it was going to crash?

But as big as this milestone is, we still have a lot of work to do. Eventually, our goal is to have a fleet of Aquilas flying together at 60,000 feet, communicating with each other with lasers and staying aloft for months at a time -- something that's never been done before.

Bad grammar, inappropriate for a CEO or a president. He should have paid attention in English 101 before he dropped out of Harvard.

To get there, we need to solve some difficult engineering challenges. Here are a few that we're working on.

Weight -- Aquila has a wingspan wider than a Boeing 737, but has to weigh as little as possible to stay up for as long as possible. That's why the body of the plane is made of a carbon fiber composite so the whole thing weighs less than 1,000 pounds -- or about the same as a grand piano. We need to continue to make it lighter.

bad grammar

a grand piano? Yeah..........like everyone has a Steinway in their living room. I am sure Omadingo sleeps under one every day in those rural areas he plans on accessing.

the whole thing .......lol........as opposed to HALF the thing..........

Power -- The amount of energy Aquila collects from the sun during the day has to be enough to keep its propellers, communications payload, avionics, heaters and light systems running when it's dark. That means using about 5,000W of power at cruising altitude, or about as much as three hairdryers. We’re always looking for ways to trim this down and make our systems more efficient.

Use 2 hairdyers

Control -- Aquila is mostly self-sufficient, but it still relies on a ground crew of about a dozen engineers, pilots and technicians who direct, maintain and monitor the aircraft. They control the aircraft through software which allows them to determine heading, altitude and airspeed -- or send Aquila on a GPS-based route. Takeoff and landing are automatic, since no human pilot can land in a precise location as well as software can.

No aircraft is autonomous, even the secret Air Force plane X-37 that flies through space unmanned.

No software can replace a human pilot. Airplanes can be guided to every landing strip with the proper software but it is only as good as the programming and the hardware on the ground.

Speed -- When you see Aquila fly, one of the most surprising things is how slow it goes. That's on purpose. In order to use the least amount of energy, Aquila needs to go as slow as possible. At higher altitudes, where the air is thinner, we'll be able to go a bit faster -- about 80 mph.

Bad grammar

Altitude -- In order to take off, fly and land, Aquila's wings and propellers have to be able to operate both in high, cold altitudes and lower, warmer altitudes where the air can be 10 times denser. We're working to figure out how much power that takes -- and what impact it will have on solar panel performance, battery size, latitude range and seasonal performance.
    Load -- Almost half the mass of Aquila will come from high-energy batteries. That's a lot of weight to put on large, flexible wings, which is why we have computer models to predict how Aquila's shape deforms under load. A few more flights will help us better understand the actual in-flight dynamics.

Imagine that.....a plane that can do all those tasks...revolutionary........the Wright Brothers would be proud.

Communications -- Aquila will carry a communications payload that will use lasers to transfer data more than 10 times faster than existing systems. It will be able to aim its beams precisely enough to hit a dime more than 11 miles away while in motion.

Great ! But how many square miles will each Aquila cover and how many devices can access each Aquila and what is the download speed?

Over the next year we're going to keep testing Aquila -- flying higher and longer, and adding more planes and payloads. It's all part of our mission to connect the world and help more of the 4 billion people who are not online access all the opportunities of the internet.
    As we make progress, we'll continue sharing what we learn. To learn more, check out this note from our engineers: https://code.facebook.com/posts/268....
    Thanks for coming along for the ride.
    ----------

Non motivational.

He has thousands of employees and a PR department. ....let them write the news releases for Aquila.

Now.....imagine him trying to sell the country on a new spending bill or threat of a nuclear war from North Korea........

Sooner or later the Press is going to ask him serious questions and he won't be able to answer them. I think FB and Zuckerberg are an empty suit.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    #15     May 4, 2017
  6. Does the concept that people can own an active smart phone AND go hungry really confound people so much? In the US there are people who carry credit card debt and also pay $200+ a month for phone service. The difference is only access to credit.

#16     May 4, 2017
  7. CFO reiterates warning on revenue deceleration, expense ramp: Q1 earnings conference call

#17     May 4, 2017
  8. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

Think I'll short this today.

#18     May 4, 2017
  9. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

Pulled the trigger on the FB short

#19     May 5, 2017
  10. Not so with you in this one though...:D

That said, it's just because I have long term holdings...I don't necessarily disagree

#20     May 5, 2017