FB Options starting to trade tomorrow

Discussion in 'Options' started by eldorado1, May 28, 2012.

1. Not sure what <i>stat vol</i> is, but realized has been 90ish since FB went public. Of course, there aren't enough data to say anything meaningful about its true vol.

#31     Jun 5, 2012
  2. Surf, I stated since options have traded. Why trade a vol bet if the data, by your admission, isn't meaningful?

What is "true" vol?

#32     Jun 5, 2012
  3. :)

#33     Jun 5, 2012
  4. lol, you actually hit one! Good job. FB worth a long here.

#34     Jun 5, 2012
  5. One thing to keep in mind, FB HAS NO SUPPORT. It's anyones guess when it bottoms out, why would anyone buy at this time?

:)

#35     Jun 5, 2012
  6. > I stated since options have traded.

And I stated since FB has been public. So we've provided OP with two factoids.

> What is "true" vol?

Unobservable -- the point is, we have no basis on which to estimate it. BTW what's "stat vol"?

> Why trade a vol bet if the data, by your admission, isn't meaningful?

OP wants to trade FB options, not I. What am I "admitting"? :confused:

#36     Jun 5, 2012
  7. You implied that IV at 60% was low, or at least not overpriced. IV in weeklies hit 70+ today and the June monthly is 68-70%.

It's analogous to you stating that you cannot see the future and therefore there is nothing meaningful to say about it(the future). Obviously trading is a bet on an future outcome. IV is the market's determination of a fwd fair-value figure on realized vol to those expiration dates. I consider the ATM IV and term-structure the best predictor of realized vol, yet I am still shorting 70-vol.

Stat vol = statistical vol = realized vol. It's more efficient short-hand.

#37     Jun 5, 2012
  8. tortoise

tortoise

#38     Jun 5, 2012
  9. #39     Jun 8, 2012