Favre is back! ROFL

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by taclander, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Favre had some really good teams in GB it's true, but so did the Niners, Cowboys and Bronco's in those days. Hell, it was a toss up between who was better among them. Let's not falsely paint the picture that GB was the superior team during that era and that they should have won more SB's. Winning a Superbowl is incredibly difficult, not an entitlement or the norm for judging someone's game like it is today. Oh and in the Superbowl that he lost, he was 25 of 42 for 256 yds with 3 TDS and 1 INT. Hardly a bad performance. I'm also pretty sure he didn't play on the defense that gave up 31 pts that game but I digress.

I'm sorry man, but you are clueless about his Jet's injury. I tore a biceps tendon pitching in the minor leagues and I can tell you your velocity and accuracy suffer greatly. And for someone who throws for a living, it's a terrible injury to have. I agree he should have said something but then who would they have turned to....Kellen Clemens? LoL.

Look, hate Favre all you want but don't make some blanket statement like his legacy is trashed. In the end, he'll be in the top 1 or 2 (assuming Manning catches up with his stats) in all major passing categories and, despite all the grumbling about all the games he's lost, he still has won the MOST games of anyone in the history of the NFL. And lets not forget his consecutive games played streak which is, by some accounts, one of the greatest achievements in durability in any sport ever.

#11     Oct 12, 2010
  2. You are pretty much the only person who doesn't think Favre's legacy is trashed. That's fine. You are entitled to your opinion.

Fact is though that his last few years in GB were subpar, then he failed miserably in NY, had a great year in Minny which is forgotten because of yet another bonehead INT, and now is shitting the bed in Minny.

All that mixed with multiple retirings, un-retirings, never ending drama queen b.s., and now pictures and texts of his dick and more cheating on his wife.

Hard to honestly say that his legacy isn't shredded.

P.S.- Sick of hearing about his consecutive games streak. If he wasn't such a selfish fuck he would have benched himself in NY when his "arm hurt" (I still think he was full of shit and just making excuses). How many games has he cost his teams by playing just to keep that streak going?

#12     Oct 12, 2010
  3. There were a couple bad yrs there in GB but you have to remember that even the greatest players in football can't do it alone. The TEAM wasn't very good for a while there and Favre had some subpar seasons it's true. But taken in a larger context, when you play as long as he has, you are bound to have some subpar seasons. Cal Ripken had some shitty years stats wise with the O's but added to all the great years, no one hardly notices.

Look, we can disagree with the Jet's season. Expectations were high, they started off great (8-3), he was playing very well and then a bum arm ruined the year. Maybe you are more emotional about it since you had season tickets and I didn't and so therefore you are more angry about what transpired.

No one is forgetting his great year last year, you can't wipe out a whole years worth of amazing play because of one INT. That's the problem with people nowadays, our expectations are so high and we teeter between extreme happiness and total despair. How about we look at the NFC INT as an unfortunate play and he knows he blew that one. He also was basically crushed by a NO defense dead set on killing him. Did you even see the pic of his ankle two days after the game?? It looks like three purple ankles combined into one....it was nasty!

I think we should just leave it as you have your opinion I will have mine. You're more put off by the off the field stuff than I am. These days everything is sensationalized by the media so I take it all with a grain of salt, and that includes all athletes covered. Could he have done things differently and better, sure! But I am not ready to call him a failure after looking back over a long and distinguished career, winning the ultimate prize and owning every significant passing record and winning the most games ever. We can pick apart all his flaws but we also need to recognize the unprecedented length of play and accumulation of statistics in the sport of football.

#13     Oct 12, 2010
  4. Maybe you need to check history. Yes, you can ruin your history. It hasn't been just once that he has thrown away a game. All the hype about game winning drives is hype that has been surpassed by quite a few other QB's of late, ie, the last 6-7 years. He was great and still has life left, but he hasn't been the "man" for awhile now. I am a Favre fan, have been for a long time. I am able to seperate the field from the dickhead in his personal life, and he just isn't the game winning qb he once was. The last few years with the Pack, he was responisble for more losses than his hero game winning drives by an infintie amount. Don't get lost in the hype.

#14     Oct 12, 2010
  5. You're just like Clubber, talking in extreme terms. Infinite amount? Is that even possible?

:)

Seriously though, I agree he isn't the 'clutch' type performer he was a decade ago. But does that mean his legacy is trashed? I mean, his legacy to me is a gunslinger, risk taker who put up huge numbers had some bad losses but won a lot of games (more than anyone else) and who's consecutive games streak is unhumanly (now I'm talking in extremes!).

:D

Again I'm not proclaiming he is the best of all time but some people want to demonize him and that's fine, we all can think what we want. But we also should blame the media for bringing everything to the forefront and creating more drama than necessary.

PS Do you think Joe Namath was a great QB?

#15     Oct 12, 2010
  6. Joe Namath is the most overrated athlete of all time.

His career numbers are average at best.

Can't believe one guy could make a career off one game.

Namath is reason #1 why the Hall of Fame is a joke.

(and I'm a Jets fan)

#16     Oct 12, 2010
  7. No, you missed, I am a Favre fan. I however see reality of the last 6-7 years. Can he be blamed for one losing play? Maybe not, but he gets credit for wins that are now years ago, so yea, he should get the heat for throwing interecptions to end games. The Vikes announcer made the call last year asking why when he didn't have to make that throw. He lives to make his own legend instead of living to win like he used to. I love his stats, but I also see the reality of his last few years. He was great, now his legacy is how long can he start. The other records are a product of his early years, and I don't mean any disrespect, although he also holds the interception record, from the now passed away, long time player George Blanda.

#17     Oct 12, 2010
  8. At least we agree on one thing!

:D

Actually his stats are far BELOW average, you were being too generous by calling them avg.

Career Tds 170 Career INTs 220!

Career QB rating of 65.5! Absolutely dreadful.

Now I also realize that today is a more pass happy league so maybe the stats aren't fully comparable but still, pretty awful and his career w/l record was below .500

#18     Oct 12, 2010
  9. George Blanda only threw 236 Tds, Favre has throw 502 and counting!

Yes he put up big numbers in his early years in GB, then had some subpar years and then recently has put up more big numbers. 2 out of the last 3 yrs he's throw for over 4000+ yds. 33tds to 7 picks last yr and 28 tds to 15 pics in 2007. And the 2 yrs before threw for almost 4k yds in each 06 and 05.

Has a better career winning % than Bart Starr as a GB packer QB, ~64% to ~59%

Also not suggesting he gets a 'pass' for criticism for throwing picks, only I won't trash a whole season cause one play didn't work out. Things happen in sports, people make mistakes, pitchers give up homers, hitters strike out, QBs throw picks, WR drops the ball.....these things happen. But the bigger body of work shouldn't be overlooked IMO

#19     Oct 12, 2010
  10. When you are the glory boy, you also have to take the heat for ending any number of seasons with your bad decisions. He has stuck around is above average, but he ain't worth the glory that has been handed to him. I f he retired when he first retired, yea, but now, no, his bad decisions and glory seeking throws have killed any number of seasons. Like what would seem to be his personal life, he is masturbating every game for his own pleasure, but unfortunately he is the only one that benefits when he cums. The hype continues and the idiots in Minnesota, who admitedly may have no other option thrown more money his way to cum back. He wasn't coming back until the Vikes increased the contract.

#20     Oct 12, 2010