Favorite War Movies

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Yes, Starship Troopers, best man versus bug movie ever made.

#41     Mar 30, 2003
  2. rs7

rs7

OK, guess I was trying to "defend his honor" because of my great admiration for his career. I am loyal to a fault.

So, how about Casablanca and Stalag 17?

Rs7

#42     Mar 30, 2003
  3. Stalag 17, see previous post. Casablanca, yes.

How about "Born on the Fourth of July", "From Here to Eternity", and one of my favorites, "The Year of Living Dangerously."

[​IMG]

#43     Mar 30, 2003
  4. rs7

rs7

Not sure what you mean about "see previous post"...you think Stalag 17 sucked?

I had mentioned Born on The Fourth of July also.

As an aside, I think "Fail Safe" and "Dr. Strangelove" need to be considered as an "Entry" (as in the horse racing term).

Same exact plot. Completely different movies. Both great. Anyone who has never seen these two movies should, and should see them consecutively, and most definitely Fail Safe before Strangelove.

Rs7

PS: My arguing to absolve Kubrick based on visualization, is obviously useless when going contrary to Optional. Only a Picasso had the right to pan a Dali. Not me, but Optional, yes.

Talking graphic genius here:)

Mr.Market, on the beach, while technically NOT a war movie, is perhaps the greatest work of pure artisty ever. (of course we don't know for certain if this actually may indeed be just one frame from an as yet unreleased classic war epic).

#44     Mar 30, 2003
  5. Comments on Stalag 17 here: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15712&perpage=6&pagenumber=5

Eyes Wide Shut a work of art?

I do think it burns Tom Cruise's butt, and ego, that Nicole Kidman now has an Oscar....and he doesn't.

Much too early to say. Let's see how Eyes Wide Shut holds up when we look back 20 years from now.

The test of time will be the judge on Eye's Wide Shut. The only real lasting impression I have of that film is LeeLee Sobieski star making turn as a teenager in skimpy undergarments in the costume shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#45     Mar 30, 2003
  6. sunnie

sunnie

"How about..... "The Year of Living Dangerously.""

Thought about posting this one but wasn't really sure it qualified as a war movie...but close enough, it is a great movie and glad you mentioned it...:)

#46     Mar 30, 2003
  7. rs7

rs7

Don't know how I missed the Stalag 17 thing, thanks!
    And I agree, Eyes Wide Shut may or may not age well...maybe needs some time on the vine, and a then a few decades after fementation.

But most importantly......any hints as to the Mr.Market still being just a frame of an epic theatrical blockbuster?

:)Rs7

#47     Mar 30, 2003
  8. Respectfully disagree. Starship Troopers was good, but ALIENS was GREAT!

#48     Mar 30, 2003
  9. Eyes, good or bad, ended and I was left with the same sick and disturbed feeling as I had with many of his other films. It doesn't sound like a good thing but those are the movies I always come back to. I have seen Eyes 5 times and still don't truly have an opinion on its content.
    Also, has anyone here heard of or seen movies by Krystof Kieslowski? Trilogy: Blue, White, & Red; The Double Life of Veronique, Blind Chance, Camera Buff, ...

#49     Mar 30, 2003
  10. Patton
    The Great Escape
    Forrest Gump
    Clear and Present Danger

#50     Apr 1, 2003