Favorite War Movies

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, Mar 28, 2003.

1. rs7

rs7

HUH? Hapaboy, hell, I like you, despite your politics.....and I actually sort of KNOW you:)

(and I used to like Charlton Heston.....little did I know)

BTW, my very closest friend is the most right wing guy you ever would want to meet. And a Syrian (Christian) to boot! Yet, despite these these very serious handicaps of his, we are true Brothers!

:)Rs7

#21     Mar 29, 2003
  2. Kymar,

Interesting observations. You should take over for that idiot Ebert. I suspect you are right about Clooney.

As for the original topic, it's not strictly a war movie, but An Officer and a Gentleman is one of my alltime favorites. A Bridge Too Far was excellent.

Private Ryan is undoubtedly the best produced war movie ever, although I thought large parts of it were kind of dumb.

#22     Mar 29, 2003
  3. Magna

Magna Administrator

Speaking of spartans, one of my favorites is a little known film, in fact the first Vietnam war film if I'm not mistaken (came out a few years before Apocalypse Now). It's called Go Tell the Spartans and stars Burt Lancaster. The story is about our "advisors" (as they were called at the time) Kennedy had sent to Vietnam, and how it slowly, inexorably escalated into the war.

#23     Mar 29, 2003
  4. LOL!

I know what you mean. Heck, some of my favorite people are liberals and Democrats, but I find I'm able to look beyond such obvious flaws! :)

With Respect and Friendship,
    Brother Hapa :cool:

#24     Mar 29, 2003
  5. This is a diversion but with all the Kubrick talk I was wondering what you folks thought of 'Eyes Wide Shut'.
    Also, was 'The Killing Fields' a movie or is my memory shot?

#25     Mar 29, 2003
  6. I thought Eyes sucked.

The Killing Fields was definitely a movie, and a terrific one. Haing S. Ngor won an Oscar for his role as the Cambodian assistant to the American reporter. Unfortunately, Ngor was murdered near his home several years ago by members of an Asian gang. Theft related, if I recall correctly...

#26     Mar 29, 2003
  7. You are not alone.

And, bravo on the movie trivia.:)

#27     Mar 29, 2003
  8. A Few Good Men

Topical today, as the clash between winning at all costs and protecting the weak and innocent soldier is made "crystal" clear.

[​IMG]

Stalag 17

Gritty, black and white, Wiliam Holden at his finest.

[​IMG]

The Sand Pebbles

[​IMG]

#28     Mar 29, 2003
  9. Little Big Man
    Patton
    The Sorrow and the Pity
    Destination Tokyo
    Fail Safe
    Catch 22
    The Longest Day
    All Quiet On The Western Front
    Dr. Strangelove
    The Iron Cross

Oh I can't leave out:

The General (Buster Keaton)
    Duck Soup (Marx Bros., has a war passage)

#29     Mar 30, 2003
  10. Ah yes. James Coburn, wasn't it? Too bad he passed away last year. One of the greats.:(

#30     Mar 30, 2003