Favorite trading books

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by derek7422, Jun 22, 2007.

1. ==================
    Derek742;
    Excellant.

Old but gold book -Wall Street Wisdom, by Samson Coslow;
    a rule from that book,1933 ,''do not short stocks with limited shares''

Also excellant-Stock Market Wizards by Schwager, re-reading it;
    Bulls Bears , Millionaires, by Robert Koppel:cool:

#11     Jan 11, 2008
  2. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

#12     Jan 11, 2008
  3. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
    Enhancing Trader Performance by Brett N Steenbarger
    The Art of the Trade by R.E. MacMaster
    Come to My Trading Room by Alexander Elder
    The Zurich Axioms by Max Gunther
    Trade With Passion and Purpose by Mark Whistler
    A Demon of Our Own Design by Richard Bookstaber
    Trading Risk by Kenneth Grant
    The Logical Trader by Mark Fisher ---- the secret sauce for me was that he didn't tell you everything about his method. So you have to do your own investigation. In doing so you will probably come up with something better which will suit you or lead you to find other interesting things.

Books on evolutionary and cognitive psychology.

Many of these books are published very recently and I must say I wish they came out earlier because I wouldn't spend so much time reading other books which these were able to sum up what I needed to be and do in one book.

#13     Jan 11, 2008
  4. samus

samus

without a doubt - Mark Douglas, "Trading In The Zone." I threw all my other trading books away.

#14     Jan 11, 2008
  5. T28 good to see you back you twat?

#15     Jan 11, 2008
  6. Buyer beware. The majority of popular trading literature probably would make a person dumber than when he started. If one had to choose between reading all of it or none of it, one would be better off reading none of it.

Having said that, here is a distilled book list for your consideration. I would probably start with Rand, Hazlitt, Harris and then Douglas -- starting with general principles, then economics, market structure and individual mind set.

Books on trading, in alpha order:

Bogle on Mutual Funds: New Perspectives for the Intelligent Investor by John Bogle
    Dynamic Hedging: Managing Vanilla and Exotic Options by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
    Economics in One Lesson: 50th Anniversary Edition by Henry Hazlitt
    Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles MacKay
    Granville's New Strategy of Daily Stock Market Timing for Maximum Profit by Joseph E. Granville
    How I Made $2,000,000 In The Stock Market by Nicolas Darvas
    How To Make Money In Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad, 3rd Edition by William J. O'Neil
    Market Wizards: Interviews with Top Traders by Jack D. Schwager
    The New Market Wizards: Conversations with America's Top Traders by Jack D. Schwager
    Option Volatility & Pricing: Advanced Trading Strategies and Techniques by Sheldon Natenberg
    Paul Wilmott Introduces Quantitative Finance by Paul Wilmott
    Technical Analysis from A to Z, 2nd Edition by Steven B. Achelis
    Technical Analysis of Stock Trends by Robert D. Edwards, John Magee
    Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets: A Comprehensive Guide to Trading Methods and Applications by John J. Murphy
    Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom by Van K. Tharp
    Trading and Exchanges: Market Microstructure for Practitioners by Larry Harris
    Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management by Alexander Elder
    Trading in the Zone: Master the Market with Confidence, Discipline and a Winning Attitude by Mark Douglas

Trading related novels and non-fiction:

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
    Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of RJR Nabisco by Bryan Burrough, John Helyar
    The Bonfire of the Vanities: A Novel by Tom Wolfe
    Den of Thieves by James B. Stewart
    The Education of a Speculator by Victor Niederhoffer
    Goldman Sachs: The Culture of Success by Lisa Endlich
    Hedgehogging by Barton Biggs
    Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis
    Reminiscences of a Stock Operator by Edwin Lefèvre
    Rigged: The True Story of an Ivy League Kid Who Changed the World of Oil, from Wall Street to Dubai by Ben Mezrich
    Ugly Americans: The True Story of the Ivy League Cowboys Who Raided the Asian Markets for Millions by Ben Mezrich
    Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron by Bethany McLean, Peter Elkind
    When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management by Roger Lowenstein

#16     Jan 12, 2008
  7. #17     Jan 12, 2008

8. I love the old books from the old guys on the street, like in the 1930s or before. There is so much wisdom in the words, and I believe that markets fundamentally never change(per se)-but great knowledge cannot always be obtained from what happened 2 months ago or even 20 years ago, because it is too fresh in history and too many people still remember it. But by looking back further one gains information that not everybody knows about or understands.

Stock Market Wizards is also on my list of must-reads, since I have finished the first two.

#18     Jan 16, 2008
    murray t turtle likes this.
  9. The Logical Trader by Mark Fisher sounds like my cup of tea. I'm not really into other people's systems anyways, even if I learned one I would probably never follow it! It may be off topic because I have not looked at the Logical Trader but that is what I like about the Market Profile studies-the ultimate simplicity in the words but the ultimate relation to any market really-like the writing says, whether you are trading "beans or bonds."

Steenbarger seems to be a favorite for many people.

#19     Jan 16, 2008
  10. I actually got "Enhancing Trader Performace" by Brett Steenbarger as a christmas gift, I read it while on vacation in Cozumel 2 weeks ago. I actually really liked it, there are few trading books I find worth reading these days (that I havent read already) but this was one of them.

#20     Jan 16, 2008