Favorite Single Malt

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stevegee58, Mar 31, 2010.

1. What's everyone's favorite single malt scotch? I inherited a bottle of really nice Oban when my dad passed away in 2003 and it got me hooked on the stuff.

My wife got me Michael Jackson's book (no, not that Michael Jackson) on single malt scotches for my birthday recently. Now I'm really feeling overwhelmed at what to choose next. I have no problem spending $100 on a bottle since it lasts for months.

2. It's all aftershave to me.

3. I like Colt 45.

4. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Lagavulin and Laphroaig.

The second is very special, not everybody likes it. It's made on Isley Island and it literally tastes the sea...Lagavulin is just classic( and really good ).

5. Laphroaig is on my list. I heard it described as "medicinal" but I don't think it'll be a problem.

I finished a bottle of Talisker 10 a couple of months ago and it was very good. Tonight I got myself some Macallan 12. It usually takes a few sessions to get in the groove with each new Scotch.

I've been using Michael Jackson's book and buying only Scotches with a score of 90 or better. There aren't that many but Laphroaig is one of them.

6. Personally, I prefer Highland malts -- distilleries such as The Macallan and Highland Park, for instance. Specifically, I favor the 18 year olds from both, but generally drink the Macalan 12 as my "usual." Some of the Cadenhead special bottlings have been quite special. Others, of course, prefer the Islay malts -- Laphroig and Lagavulin -- but they are too peaty, too much iodine, for me.

7. Just scored me a bottle of Laphroig Quarter Cask. Really nice I think but I can see how it's one you either love or hate. It's distinctly medicinal but I like its complexity.

8. dcvtss

dcvtss

Finally a worthy topic! If you like laphroaig you'll like lagavulin. I don't personally care too much for the islay whiskeys but I won't turn them down either. I have a bottle of talisker 10 in the cabinet right now and just recently polished off a Macallan cask strength. Another highland I really like is dalwhinnie.

Edit: Forgot about one, Edradour, it is extremely hard to find but worth it. Can't believe I forgot it, I've been to the distillery. :D

9. I can see another Talisker in my future. Very nice. But next on the list is Lagavulin. Michael Jackson's book rated it very highly.

I have the wife talked into a Scotland trip. Should be great fun.

10. chocolate

#10     Dec 23, 2010