Favorite momentum indicator? CCI vs Momentum opinions.

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by DisarM, Jan 10, 2020.

1. DisarM

DisarM

For the people who have used both CCI and Mom., which would you prefer? They are both momentum indicators and show roughly the same data, but are obviously different formulas. Any opinions matter, but if you have experience with both then let me know your thoughts.

(I know there are other momentum indicators, but for my own research and backtesting I would just like to know between these specific two, thanks!)

((If it matters to you, this is for Forex primarily))

2. easymon1

easymon1

mr disarm, wondered if you might provide us with links to information on the specific indicators you mention? thx

3. MACD

MACD

I have used various iterations of these indicators over the past 20 plus years. And place no predictive value for Forex or other markets. Good Luck and welcome to ET as your first and only post has been received.

4. ET180

ET180

I also have found no predictive value in any of the common technical indicators. This should not be a surprise. If there was predictive value, then everyone would be using it until the predictive value goes away. Although given that, interesting that you chose MACD as your name.

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. Turveyd

Turveyd

Bollinger Bands and SMA/EMA's work, everything else*, doesn't to keep it really simple.

* haven't tried literally everything!!

6. notagain

notagain

Looks like CCI overreacts to price change, Momentum mirrors the price change.
    CCI would be better for exit on first red bar.
    Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 10.26.30 AM.png

7. Handle123

Handle123

Price is best momentum indicator, then you have less under your charts. Price goes up, most indicators goes up and same going down. Divergences happen when there are small breaks of previous pivots. When price going sideways is same of indicators staying in the middle.

murray t turtle and ET180 like this.
  8. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Your observation depends on the current settings -- there is no such thing as a T/A indicator with fixed settings. NEVER accept "default" settings -- ALWAYS tune and investigate and re-tune until you have a robust indicator.

OP: your own opinion on CCI et. al. -- especially your own intuitive understanding -- would fuel more-informed discussion.

MACD and Slope Trader like this.
  9. %% Plenty of truth there;
    I like PSAR some times . MOMO is price speedo, way too early

10. easymon1

easymon1

mr disarm,
    what is the Mom. indicator, please? Thx

#10     Jan 23, 2020