favorite guitar solos

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gordon Gekko, Apr 30, 2005.

1. nuffim

nuffim

Red House by Jimi Hendrix, Crossroads by Eric Clapton, or Just listen to Johnny Winter, or the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band.

#11     Apr 30, 2005
  2. the riff in the beginning of "Pride (In the Name of Love)" could possibly be one of my favorite riffs ever.

the beginning of "Where the Streets Have No Name" is also awesome.

#12     Apr 30, 2005
  3. Maverick1

Maverick1

Very underappreciated, but a player's player, Eric Johnson, by far the most exquisite phrasing in the realm of instrumental rock.

Lots of favorites, but the intro to Cliffs of Dover has got to be in the top 5 of all time.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Joe Satriani or Steve Vai yet, I would say, Flying in a blue dream and For the love of God from those two.

In jazz, anything by early George Benson, Pat Metheny, Joe Pass, Pat Martino or Adam Rogers will do the trick

#13     Apr 30, 2005
  4. Maverick1

Maverick1

Agreed, but let's be frank, we can listen to at most 1 solo by Yngwie before the saturation point is reached, lol

#14     Apr 30, 2005
  5. "always with me, always with you" by joe satriani rules

#15     Apr 30, 2005
  6. Amen to Always with me, always with you and Flying in a Blue Dream. Ditto on Eric Johnson's material.

Three guitar solos on Queensryche's "Empire" album come to mind: the title track, Resistance, and One and Only.

Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" and Metallica's "Master of Puppets" and "Sanitarium" are also terrific.

Can't forget about Boston's "Foreplay/Long Time" and "Don't look Back."

Lots of good ones out there...

#16     Apr 30, 2005
  7. b_ale

b_ale

The slow one from Joe Satriani's "Surfing with Aliens" It goes like....buambuam buam buam buaaaaam buambuam buam beom

#17     Apr 30, 2005
  8. P.S.:

"Wasted Years" by Iron Maiden

"Shoot to Thrill" by AC/DC

"Xanadu," "La Vila Strangiato," "Red Barchetta," "Marathon," "Limelight," and by Rush

"Blackout" by the Scorpions

#18     Apr 30, 2005
  9. Hmmm I guess I forgot about John Mclaughlin (sic) and Mahavishnu Orchestra! Also with Tony Williams Emergency. Some crazy prog-jazz stuff of the 60s-70s! I always thought Via and Satriani kind of came from that school, but a bit more slicked up.

#19     Apr 30, 2005
  10. Stevie Ray Vaughn has too many great solos to list.

Also, Santana lets loose a great one in Oye Como Va.

#20     Apr 30, 2005