Favorate Movies

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trane, Mar 15, 2003.

1. rs7

rs7

Daniel,

These last couple of posts of yours are exactly why I love you so much.

Nobody but some country and western singers can possibly "tell it how it is" the way you do....stand up for what they believe. No pulling punches. No whimpiness.

Great posts. Can't argue with you at all. 'Cause after all, how can anyone argue with subjectivity?

You are the best! Yesterday in the chat room while trading was slow, I made just this point about you when your name came up in a bullshit session. You are the one person that I can disagree with and absolutely love at the same time.

"The prospect of sex afterwards".....a true classic line:)

Keep 'em coming. You are indeed my favorite "conservative".

As an aside, what is your current opinion of Dubya now? From the press here, it seems that the "world" is favorable to the American people now, but overwhelmingly anti-Bush. Is that so? And if it is, have you joined the majority? (Sorry Trane for going off subject of your thread, but you know how Dan and I can get.....lover's quarrel, whatever...too much passion here:)).

Hope all is well with you down under.

Peace Brother Daniel
    :)rs7

#11     Mar 15, 2003
  2. Trane

Trane

Daniel_M,

This was not an attempt to list the finest films of the past 50's years, for if it were I would have looked at the decades/films more objectively. This, as the thread indicates, is simply a list of my favorites. When Rs7 says I 'nailed it', perhaps he simply means I nailed his favorite films...

Feel free to come up with your own list though, not as easy as it looks...

#12     Mar 15, 2003
  3. rs7

rs7

PS: Why am I not entitled to make the " blunders" others are forgiven?

And I don't see where Trane or I claimed anything to be "definitive".

And when you refer to "(in my thread)" ... not sure what you are referring to. Did I miss something? I don't recall seeing that.

Peace Bro'

PS to the PS: Gotta agree with you on some of your objections. Can't justify "Once Upon a Time In America" and a couple of the others you mentioned. But not as vehemently opposed. Spartacus was pretty good, but I agree that Ben Hur was better. Although I don't think I could sit through it at this time of my life.

So many movies....really, it's impossible to make a "definiteve" list even if it were somehow objectively qualifiable. Just too many movies. How many Westerns were made that were classics. But so much repetition. High Noon, for example. A classic with a great cast and winner of Best Picture Oscar. But so trite at this point in time. I mean there were litterally hundreds of remakes of this movie, even as in the form of space fantasy movies, or a glaring example to me would be "Roadhouse"....same story, different setting. Really pretty much after Shakespeare, all the themes and plots were already covered. After old William, everything else is essentially an "adaptation".

#13     Mar 15, 2003
  4. cos i hold you to a higher standard than the other rabble! :D

i took your saying that trane "nailed it" to mean that you consider his selections as the last word on what the great movies were. (otherwise, what exactly did he "nail"? YOUR favorites too?)

you mean you haven't seen my 80s thread? oh well, it appears not too many others have either :( must be a bunch of old timers here...

#14     Mar 15, 2003
  5. Trane

Trane

Looking at this list, it is very apparent that movies are simply too violent! Shheeesh, with no exceptions, do anyone of my favorite films exclude, death-killing-destruction :eek:

Even the Ape got it in the opening seen of 2001 and Danny got it in Lebowski. Perhaps the only one that does not follow suit is 'The Hustler'...

#15     Mar 15, 2003
  6. rs7

rs7

Me? To a "higher standard"? That statement, along with your 80's thread (I just checked it out) are very funny!

I guess I sort of missed the 80's to a degree. Was working all the time (was in the bar/restaurant business, and it seemed I was working 24/7) and my boy was born in 85, so being a new dad sort of was overwhelming. Not much time for tv and movies for me then.

Peace,

#16     Mar 15, 2003
  7. OK, I'm just begging for a fight now, but here are the movies that everybody else likes and I don't:

These Suck:

Brazil - very boring, and the leading lady is a man.

Cider House Rules- unwatchably boring

The Patriot- Cliche a minute, and makes black slavery look like a picnic.

Deep Impact- Crap. Worst movie score/soundtrack ever.

Dave- Liberals gone wild.

The Abyss- Yawn.

These are overrated mediocre movies:

Reservior Dogs - why is this movie so loved? Is watching a dude suffer with his ear cut off so fucking pleasurable?

Usual Suspects- Just OK. What's the big deal about this one?

#17     Mar 15, 2003
  8. Network 1976

In many ways dated, but in many ways extremely topical. Very ahead of its time.

#18     Mar 15, 2003
  9. Have you ever head of Woody Allen?

#19     Mar 15, 2003
  10. Agree about Network. Great movie, and a pioneer in dissing Arabs.

#20     Mar 15, 2003