fauxcrisis relief play LONG

Discussion in 'Trading' started by marketsurfer, Aug 14, 2003.

1. amg

amg Guest

fauxcrisis...lol. Thanks for the levity, there's been enough time for the panicky edge to wear off.

I had similar thoughts, without targets however and just in general terms, that since signs pointed towards it being an unfortunate but non-terrorist event, there would be a rebound "We'll show how tough we hang in the teeth of adversity" type of rally.

Assuming of course that power is sufficiently restored by daybreak so that folks are able to commute in from Connecticut & re-enter trading turrets, not to neglect the NYSE bell-ringers, in time for a smooth open tomorrow.

amg, who is glad to be here just now rather than in midtown.

#11     Aug 14, 2003
  2. well said, amg. i am holding the longs, and very happy to have made it home from CT and nantucket before the outage ! my friends in NYC are incommunicado at this time. :(

best,

dave:)

#12     Aug 14, 2003
  3. Oh sorry! :D

#13     Aug 14, 2003
  4. Shaman

Shaman

but I dont understand what you are speculating (there is no doubt the power went out). I am not trying to bust your balls I am just trying to understand what you are seeing.

btw I am not watching the futures so you could already be right.

#14     Aug 14, 2003

5. no problem, shaman. yes, the positions are profitable at this time. short term panics often lead to opportunity on the long side. i like your handle.

best,

surfer

#15     Aug 14, 2003
  6. dis

dis

On Friday, in addition to the power outage, we will have to digest an options expiry and so-so Dell earnings. We may have a relief rally on Monday, though.

#16     Aug 14, 2003
  7. !my God, man, you're in rare form!

#17     Aug 14, 2003
  8. holding the long index futures into the open.

:)

#18     Aug 15, 2003
  9. very calm and cool of you marketsurfer. good play.

#19     Aug 15, 2003
  10. kernan

kernan

It actually was a crisis - although it could have been much worse. I think surfer is referring to the fact that it was not terrorism related.

If you were with my wife at the ferries where 5,000+ people were packed in pretty hot temps, you would not have been a happy camper!!!

#20     Aug 15, 2003