Fat Tax...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Blue_Ice, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Mayhem

Mayhem

huh, if I am reading you correctly, you like a fat food tax because unemployed, uninsured mofos get fat, then go to the emergency room for health care, and therefore increase the tax burden on employed, insured people. Therefore, in your mind, fat people are getting away with being a tax burden on the rest of us without paying taxes or insurance themselves.

So, in a strange sense, you are proposing a regressive tax on the fat, poor, uninsured, fried-chicken and refried beans eaters who go to the emergency room and raise taxes and insurance premiums for you and me.

huh, if I believed for a moment that your proposed system will work, I would like it just for the fcuk-the-welfare-queens factor of your plan.

The reality is that no matter how much you tax fried chicken and refried beans, they will still pack more empty calories for the buck than a baby spinach and heirloom tomatoes salad with aged balsamic vinegarette. Plus, I am going to have to pay a tax for the blue cheese crumble that I want on my salad for flavor and the the much-needed calcium in my diet.

#51     Nov 10, 2010
  2. huh

huh

Well I like the fat food tax simply because I believe that the growing obese population in this country are simply not paying their fair share for medical costs which is causing the healthy responsible people to be shafted. Obesity is an issue across the political and social spectrum in this country. You have uninsured obese people whether lower or middle class sticking the tax payer with medical bills and then the obese that are insured are simply not paying enough in premiums to cover the cost of their multiple heart attacks, diabetes, etc.

I have no issue with this tax hitting the unemployed, or wellfare cases in this country that choose to eat garbage with their gov't dollars. If they have a heart attack or something they get tax payer backed medical help so I have no issue with taxing them a little bit in exchange for that backstop. Again I would back this tax if the gov't was forced to provide tax credits with the money generated, and not use it for other crap. If they do that then the additional cost of your blue cheese crumble would be offset by the tax credit you receive or the credit towards your health insurance. However if you decide to drop 10 pounds of blue cheese crumble on your salad then yeah you'll probably have to pay more but 10 pounds of blue cheese crumble for a meal I dont' think is normal anyway :)

The fat tax may not stop a lot of fatties from gorging but at least it would force them to pay up and provide some fair relief to the healthy in the form of tax credits or premium reductions.
    An idea I'd be willing to support after I get more details about what is considered to be the "bad" foods, how its decided what is a bad food, etc.....simply because the current health care system of relying on a shrinking population of healthy people subsidizing the cost of a growing amount of obese people is not sustainable in the long run.....

#52     Nov 10, 2010
  3. sprstpd

sprstpd

You can "fight back" slightly by buying a high deductible health plan paired with a health savings account.

#53     Nov 10, 2010
  4. Mayhem

Mayhem

Your issue seems to be with fat people and not necessarily "fattening" foods. So, why not just tax people on a body fat assessment? It would be a like a property tax assessment -- where the town tax assessor measures the square footage of your home and values your improvements. In this case, the tax man can do a body scan, tell you your body fat percentage, then tax you for being fat. It strikes me as kinda Pol Pot-ish, but it goes more directly to the object of your rage.

I can be a marathon runner, and eat bowls and bowls of pasta to fuel my 27 mile runs... I would be supper fit, but would be eating a huge amount of carbs (carbs being currently identified as a big contributor to obesity). Why should the marathon runner be punished for your indirect tax slap at fat people? If you really want a tax to punish fat people for being fat, then it makes the most sense to tax them directly for being fat... Why punish the healthy weight lifter for eating a lot of steak?

Your proposal is like taxing rat poison because some people abuse rat poison and use it to commit suicide.... Don't tax people who just want to kill rats... if you want to discourage suicide, tax suicide, not tall buildings.

#54     Nov 10, 2010
  5. huh

huh

If I had a choice I'd rather see us tax or raise premiums on fat people rather than fatty foods. But congress is not bringing up a fattie tax because they're gutless so instead they are proposing a fat food tax so that the fatties won't have their feelings hurt by being singled out. Since I don't find the current state of the medical system to be viable in the long run I have to consider what else is on the table.

This tax on food isn't exactly what I want but its more viable than the current system which rewards bad behavior. I completely agree that its better to tax the fattie and not the fat but thats not an option at the moment for some reason.

Again depending on what ends up being the basis of the tax (ie eating a serving of almonds which have a lot of good fats is not the same as eating a candy bar, or eating certain fatty fish is not as unhealthy as eating red meat) I dont' think the tax increase to healthy people will be more than the benefit of lower health care costs. Even the endurance athlete you mentioned carbo loads for ony a few days before a marathon. Its not like they are consuming 5000 calories of pasta everyday, usually you carbo load for a few days before a marathon so unless you're running a marathon every single weekend I don't think it would be a major issue. Plus I dont' think there are that many people that run marathons every single weekend because if there were we wouldn't even be having a fat tax conversation. There are 3 months out of the year where I have to consume close to 4500 calories a day just to maintain weight but I doubt a signficant portion of my calories would be subject to this tax as very little of the calories come from sugar. So I'd be open to looking at this tax as long as what items they are taxing are reasonable and make sense.

#55     Nov 10, 2010
  6. Mayhem

Mayhem

huh, IMO, you're just another nanny-statist who wants to control other people by government edict.

It sounds like you don't like the idea of insurance which, by definition, means you're paying an entity to transfer and pool your risk. As others have mentioned, you have options here: You can not carry insurance, or you can just buy catastrophic coverage which carries a high deductible and a low premium.

In addition to fat people, health care costs have be rising, and will continue to rise, for a number of reasons including:

- malpractice lawsuits and the paperwork and unnecessary procedures and tests conducted in fear of lawsuits

- third parties (insurance companies, the government, and employers) paying for care which disincentivizes end-users and doctors from being frugal. Third party payment also means a lot more paperwork and administrative costs

- new technologies, devices, medications, and techniques which makes it possible to improve outcomes for more people, but which adds to costs (20 years ago, you couldn't get an MRI, now you can get one for an ankle sprain if your doc wants to check for ligament damage)

- an aging population as the Baby Boom bubble generation cycles through

Your proposal to tax "fattening" food is like someone trying to set up committee to explore the rearranging of deck chairs while the Titanic is sinking -- too little, too late, and too unrelated to the primary drivers of your "crisis."

If you are fit and healthy, you can opt-out of the unhealthy pool of people buying insurance by being self-insured. Create your own medical savings account, and continue to eat granola and sprouts and workout daily. That way you won't have to wring your hands about what your next door neighbor is eating.

The fact of the matter is, if you get your health insurance from your employer, then the insurance premiums that you and your employer pay are already taking into account the general age and health and family structure profile of the pool of people who work in your company. Sorry if you work with a bunch of smoking fatties, but that's life... you can opt-out of your company's health insurance program.

In addition to all of the above, your proposal is unworkable. Who will define unhealthy foods? The Agriculture Department? The same government that subsidizes farmers to grow corn, is now going to tax high-fructose corn syrup as an unhealthy food product? How retarded is that? Who is going to pay for all the lawsuits when the beef, dairy, and prepared food industries sue the government not to have their food labeled unhealthy? How do you think the money from your "fat tax" is going to be used when Kraft and General Mills and Campbells send their lobbyists to Washington DC to get their food products favorable treatment?

On top of all that, sorry, but it is not the government's place to socially engineer Americans' lifestyles through taxation.

#56     Nov 11, 2010
  7. huh

huh

#57     Nov 11, 2010
  8. Mayhem

Mayhem

You want the Federal Government to create some sort of national sales tax to discourage the consumption of food that the state is to deem as fattening. If that's not a nanny state, then what is?

What's next? A tax on spending too much time in the sun without an appropriate SPF sunscreen and a wide-brimmed hat?

Maybe the government can put a meter on your TV and tax you for more than 1 hour of TV viewing as TV viewing time is an indicator of sedentary lifestyle.

You're a conservative? Well, maybe a conservative in the I-know-what's-good-for-you-so-do-as-I-say sense. But your proposal isn't conservative in the small central government, minimize bureaucracy, no social engineering, minimize taxes, keep Big Brother off my back sense.

You're gripe isn't with food, you're gripe is with people who use the health care system too much. If you're that pissed off with fat diabetics going to their doctors too often, then why not tax doctor visits? That seems like a more direct route to punish those people who are heavy users of health care. Then, you not only punish the fatties, but you punish the sexually promiscuous, the junkies, the binge drinkers, the hypochondriacs, and the old cat ladies who have nothing better to do than to watch Dr Oz and call their doctors for recommendations on B12 supplements.

#58     Nov 12, 2010
  9. huh

huh

#59     Nov 12, 2010
  10. You went about your weight loss in the wrong way. If this is the manner in which you expect to maintain your current weight, I expect you will be disappointed in due course.

#60     Nov 12, 2010