Fat Tax...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Blue_Ice, Nov 4, 2010.

1. jprad

jprad

Now that you've made it painfully clear that you do not have a Ph.D. in metabolic process, how about going out and talking to one that does?

Hint, it ain't just fat intake that can make you fat when you have the "wrong" set of genes...

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/133/8/2549

#11     Nov 4, 2010
  2. jprad

jprad

+1

"[The] right to be let alone - the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men."
    BRANDEIS, U.S. SUPREME COURT JUSTICE LOUIS, Olmstead v. United States, 277 U.S. 479 (1928)

#12     Nov 4, 2010
  3. May sound good in theory, but in practice it would probably wouldn't work. If you add a fat tax on high sugar foods, then one day someone will point out fruits have high sugar content. So, fruit should be taxed -- but no they shouldn't because they're healthy -- but no, the law says (etc etc etc).
    The most likely outcome would be an even bigger waste of money as various sides argued it out, government panels to research each argument, lobbying by both sides, and the ultimate conclusion in 10-20 years -- on a case by case basis and review, everything has been determined to contribute to fat and weight gain, so every food is taxed (even mother's milk, so infants rack up major tax liability before they are weaned).

#13     Nov 4, 2010
  4. BSAM

BSAM

OINK/OINK/OINK...OINK/OINK

HEEEERE PIGGY PIGGY PIGGY...

(DON'T RESPOND TO THIS POST...IT MIGHT BE A GOVERNMENT TRAP.)

#14     Nov 4, 2010
  5. pspr

pspr

Maybe Obama can just make Soilent Green the national food and pass a law that we all can only eat Soilent Green. That would solve the fat problem for you liberal commie dogs. Next.

We already have way too much social engineering through taxes. The government should only tax for the purpose of raising enough revenue to operate. It's not their job to tell me how to live or "nudge" me in the right direction (for them) through taxes.

#15     Nov 4, 2010
  6. 200 million people in the US are overweight(100 million are obese). How many have broken bones? I kind of think the overweight people put more pressure on healthcare than broken bones. Besides...re-setting a bone and putting a cast on doesnt cost that much.

#16     Nov 4, 2010
  7. I have NEVER in my life seen a person that did a constant diet & exercise program that was overweight. I've seen plenty of overweight people that say "its their genes" and they just eat & watch TV all day though.

#17     Nov 4, 2010
  8. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Just round up all the cars and close all the trattorias and bistros.

Look at all the gorgeous long-legged women in St. Petersburg, Kiev and Moscow. They walk everywhere or take the metro and the food is not too good.

I know what I'm talking about. I'm famous for being able to pick the one ukrainian out of a room full of russians (its the huge bad hair).

:D

#18     Nov 4, 2010
  9. jprad

jprad

I swear I'll have a heart attack the day you do not respond to a factual reply with facts instead of these insipid tautological anecdotes...

#19     Nov 4, 2010
  10. Also add a gay tax.

The fat tax can be enforced by having people report once every 3 years to be weighed at an IRS office and paying a stamp tax.

The gay tax can be enforced by having men report once every three years and having an IRS proctologist check your anus/rectum with a loupe and check for evidence of anal sex or fisting. And charge a stamp tax.

#20     Nov 4, 2010