fat fingers ruined a day

Discussion in 'Trading' started by trader198, Feb 11, 2013.

1. I shorted natural gas in the pre-market, then in opening want to cover, but I wrote a wrong oder(a limit order with lower price, I intent to write a limit buy order, but actually wrote a sell limit order way below te market), did not notice the oder type is sell. gee, I sold it double down on the market, just f**k, late notice the market is going up, and my P/L reduced so fast, kind of odd, found I shorted double size.

fat fingers are costy! in the past, I did that too. one time, I sold 1000shares stocks with lower price (2points below) becuase I think I was writing a buy order. feel bad.

double check the order

2. heech

heech

That's crappy, but not quite a fat finger. A fat finger is trading 56 contracts (rather than the 5 I was hoping for) in a very thinly traded / wide spread gasoline options market.

3. gmst

gmst

feel sorry :eek: but LOL also :D

what was the quote like (if you remember) and how much your action moved the market?

4. your software should have a max order quantity parameter for whatever security you're trading.

5. yeah, no kidding, that feature has saved my ass more than one time

I try to set everything up so it is just point and click

but you know, occasionally there comes special orders

one time I put in an order to buy 1 eur.usd, I couldn't figure out why when it was crashing I was not losing any money (the spread wasn't too bad, but I paid $2.50 in commission)

6. gmst

gmst

Does IB TWS supports this?

7. yes, go to configure presets

8. gmst

gmst

oh yes, thanks. not sure how this feature escaped me!!

I can't find it but do you think IB also has a feature where you can set how many times you can trade a particular contract in a day?

9. Yea I am paranoid of fat fingers. Especially when trading SPY options.

10. Fat fingers or lack of eye glasses, or both, ouch.
    Yeah the TWS settings saved me twice so far, but i don't often manually enter orders.

Configuration > Presets > Stocks (or any other) > Show All possible fields > scroll down to Precautionary Settings

#10     Feb 11, 2013