Fat Finger Mistake

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Palindrome, May 8, 2018.

1. Palindrome

Palindrome

I woke up Monday Morning, groggy, put a long trade on (using round numbers)

Nasdaq futures were trading at 6000, I put a limit order to buy @ 9000 with a stop at 8950. (Mistake obviously).

IB immediately filled my order at 6000 and sold me out of it at 5999 (remember I had a stop at 8950... mistake).

Thanks god, but how come IB did not fill my purchase at 9000? Was it because My volume was not big enough?

2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

With no appreciable bid-ask spread, the market slipped down, your LIMIT-BUY hit the market and was executed at the first hit above BID. Since it was also below your 8950 trigger, that order too went to market, again at the first available bid below the market ASK at the time -- 5999.

"Good work if you can find it!"

3. RRY16

RRY16

LOL...Please Stop!

CALLumbus, JackRab and FXbeachbum like this.
  4. Limit Orders can be filled at a better price than what you enter.

5. Palindrome

Palindrome

Thanks McGinnis, So the market does not allow for buys ever to be well above the market? I guess there are programs to stop this from happening to not allow market manipulation.... OR Fat Finger Idiots like me? ( I ended up making a fair amount of money that day, which was hilarious in hindsight)

6. i've put limit orders in and gotten better prices filled than my original limit order. its great.

7. limit orders are buy/sell at this price of better. market price in your case was much, much better.

8. if You swing enough volume to move the market 3000 points, please inform us before you take a position. Lol

Chuck Krug likes this.
  9. JackRab

JackRab

Paper trade? Because we haven't traded around 6000 in NQ for quite a while...

Just about any statement in this post of yours is incorrect

oraclewizard77 likes this.
  10. lindq

lindq

Me thinks it was a very fat finger.

#10     May 8, 2018
    JackRab likes this.