FastTrader Futures-Trading Journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by EMini-Player, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have tried the backtesting feature just for fun, but don't use it since, currently, all of my trades are discretionary.

-Fast

#21     Oct 13, 2003
  2. traderkay, I don't post charts mainly because it requires a lot of time to capture/upload images. Plus, I watch 5 time-frames and when putting on a trade, almost all 5 are taken into consideration.

If you'd like to check out any specific trade, pull it up on your charting platform. I'm looking at the same thing everyone else is :)

-Fast

#22     Oct 13, 2003
  3. October 13th (Monday)

Followed Trading Plan: [​IMG]

Total trades: 2 (1 Long, 1 Short) 2 Winners, 0 Losers

9:36 AM - Long 1 NQ 1415.00
    9:40 AM - Exit 1 NQ 1416.50
    Result: +1.50
    Notes: Early exit, but damn the NQ was choppy this morning. Technically, I probably should have moved my stop to BE and held on since the TRIN was very bullish, but I chickened out and took my point and a half.

10:29 AM - Short 1 ES 1047.75
    10:37 AM - Cover 1 ES 1046.75
    Result: +1.00
    Notes: I was very pleased with this entry considering High of Day was 1048, but I had to leave for work so bailed with a point.

Overall:
    ES: +1
    NQ: +1.50

I usually have 6-8 trades in the morning alone, but this morning I had another friend who trades stocks come over to my place since he wanted to see how I traded the futures. I'm not too comfortable trading with someone watching over my shoulder while explaining each trade, so most of my trades were on paper using NinjaTrader. I made about 7 ES pts on paper in the first hour. I'm hoping tomorrow will be better since I won't have any interruptions :)

#23     Oct 13, 2003
  4. Sounds like your buddy lost you $300 today :)
    Of course paper trading is always more profitable for me as well :)

That 10:30 ES trade I saw too. I saw it on a 1m chart at 10:31, then on my 3m chart at 10:33 then the 5m chart a 10:35. Is that how it works for you, one after the other, and you wait until the last one is good?

just curious,
    jd

#24     Oct 13, 2003
  5. JD, that is sort of how it works. I don't wait for all time frames to line up since I don't plan on holding for more than a few minutes. My entry is on the shorter time frames 1min/100tick chart; and 1 min affects the 3 min. so the 3 min. turns. Now, I will want the 10 min. turning as well, but it doesn't have to since my profit target on every trade is 3-6 ticks. If it works out on higher time frames - GREAT...if not; I bail with 1-1.5 pts. The shorter time frames actually work out very well for entries; and if the entry is good and timed properly on the shorter time-frames, it will result in at least a 1 pt profit which is what I'm going for. But if the entire market happens to turn at that point; then anything after the first point is a bonus. Watching the higher time-frames let me see when I can take advantage of that bonus and ride it out. I do try to go with the flow though and won't short when the 3 min. is point straight up. But, no I don't wait until the last one is good.

Hope this helps.

-Fast

#25     Oct 13, 2003
  6. Fast Trader,

Sorry but I was totally out of it this morning (work last night was rough and I have been sick for about two days now...cold) and I was falling asleep at my pc this morning after taking some Vicks Nyquil (no not VIX). When you entered your SHORT at 1047.75 I was thinking, great now this is one you can sit in and ride down today. I know you had to go to work, but this was a very high probability SHORT trade IMO. The 1048 area showed strong resistance and the overall trade day was weak IMO. While sitting in my SHORT positions from this area, I myself went to sleep right about this same time and I had set audible alerts for my trade positions (high side at 1048 and low side at 1043.25). My daughter woke me up (no school today for the holiday) in the afternoon as one of my audible alerts sounded off at the 1043.25 price level. As the ES price continued to slide, I decided to cover my multiple 10 ES contract SHORT positions. I ended up covering 30 ES all in the 1041 to 1042 price levels and then I called it a day. I will take more time tomorrow to chat with you in the room while you are trading. I do think you are doing very good so far and your decision to only trade the ES/NQ is a good idea IMO. Just focus on the ES/NQ for now as you are learning and then in the future you can trade whatever you like.

TTYL!

Chris

#26     Oct 13, 2003
  7. Great Job AMT4SWA.

You got to sleep right through making 3 grand. Very nice :)

jd

#27     Oct 14, 2003
  8. no wait, I think I read that wrong,
    it's even better than that......
    30 contracts. Wow. Very very nice.
    I think I'll start paying more attention to you guys :)

jd

#28     Oct 14, 2003
  9. I have been burning the candle at three ends lately and yesterday morning my body said enough is enough. I really need to go on vacation for a good week and recharge my batteries (looking forward to the Vegas trip for the Trade Expo in November). :)

#29     Oct 14, 2003
  10. Chris, knowing how hectic your schedule is right now, I totally agree...you need that vacation :)

-Fast

#30     Oct 14, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.