Fasting diet 'regenerates diabetic pancreas'

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Feb 24, 2017.

1. As I mentioned in previous discussions, I'm not a fan of fasting. But this is interesting reading:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39070183

In addition to potentially regenerating the pancreas, it seems to be able to lower blood pressure and a hormone called IGF-1, which is linked to some cancers.

...However, Dr Longo said people should not rush off and crash diet.

He told the BBC: "It boils down to do not try this at home, this is so much more sophisticated than people realise."

He said people could "get into trouble" with their health if it was done without medical guidance...

Interesting stuff.

2. Type 2 maybe, but for Type 1 I doubt will make a difference.
    I knew a Type 1 diabetic whose pancreas was destroyed by an autoimmune disease (very common). Any attempt to transplant healthy pancreatic tissue would fail because of the underlying autoimmune disorder.

3. For the most part I see fasting as a risky shortcut to achieving weight goals. Very, very easy to end up malnourished and nutrient deficient, especially if done in conjunction with a strenuous exercise program. I'm living with the consequences of such a program. I would strongly recommend seeking professional guidance before beginning such a program.

Frederick Foresight likes this.
  4. i like the idea of incorporating fasting into your eating habits, but
    it's not easy, at least not on a regular basis :banghead:

the animal fasting studies sure look impressive :thumbsup:

marc
    :cool:

5. I've been doing a pseudo fast for years, I only eat within an 8 hour period and give my body a "healing" period from digestion the other 16 hours of the day...less stress than pure fasting. My hours are usually 12pm-8pm or 1pm-9pm. I drink unfiltered apple cider vinegar before each meal for digestion and to minimize carb absorption. I eat coconut oil (in oat meal) each day as it raises metabolism and gives the brain fuel...raw unfiltered honey for electrolytes...fish and olive oil (some olive oils are a scam...google) for brain and heart health. I also eat lightly steamed broccoli or green leafy vegetables every day for disease prevention antioxidants. This works for me, although I work out like a mad man too! If your brain can't handle fasting in the morning, eat some coconut or olive oil (the brain loves these oils)...or a glass of some mixture of warm water and apple cider vinegar or honey or lemon or cinnamon or cayenne pepper. If you take apple cider vinegar, rinse with baking soda immediately after and don't brush teeth for at least a half an hour...it will rot teeth. Good luck!!!! :strong::strong::strong::strong:

userque and vanzandt like this.
  6. poorboy

poorboy

I've had great results with fasting. If any one wants tips feel free to ask. Didn't fix my diabetes, but I felt better.

7. LacesOut

LacesOut

I liked IF too...I would be ravenous for lunch and it usually made me at a smaller dinner.
    I found getting into a workout routine harder because I was more excited to break my fast than go to the gym at lunch (like I usually do)

8. My best trick is to hold out until workout time, then have a big spoonful of unfiltered honey before the workout...energy boost that will satisfy the brain and help you workout harder and won't tax your body with digestion! I can't stand having that starving feeling and waiting for my workout time to arrive...just knowing the honey is waiting for me helps me not give in.:thumbsup:

userque, LacesOut and vanzandt like this.
  9. LacesOut

LacesOut

After your workout what would you eat?
    Would you drink coffee in the morning or just water?

10. After a workout I always have a protein serving and a carbohydrate serving within a half an hour. Studies show the best results are within this time period...carb replaces energy depletion and the protein helps repair immediately. Carbs...1 or 2 bananas (a favorite), honey, any juicy fruit. Protein...milk or Greek yogurt are excellent. Since I work (trade) at home, I'm able to workout in the late afternoon or evening...never the morning (body isn't awake enough). I try to wait at least a half an hour before I eat a full meal...don't want to mess with digestion since all my muscles are using most of the blood still. If I did workout in the morning, I would follow the same rules...yes, I would probably break my fast strategy to have my post workout carb/protein, but only on workout days. It's up to you how you can make it all fit...everybody has a different schedule and different body needs. The first thing I do every morning (after pissing) is drink a large glass of filtered hot water (don't drink if too hot)...the body loves this and gets all the systems going (especially elimination). I've never drank coffee...that's up to you.:)

#10     Mar 10, 2017
    userque and Van_der_Voort_4 like this.