Fasting as 'an amazing way of life'.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by themickey, Nov 10, 2019.

1. deaddog

deaddog

It is not when you eat; It's what you eat.

#11     Nov 12, 2019
  2. ph1l

ph1l

I did intermittent fasting for a few years by eating from about 7 PM to 10 PM and only drinking water between meals. This was mostly for convenience to let me work through the day and avoid awkward social situations.

It wasn't too hard, but there were two main side effects. The first was an increased sensitivity to cold. The second was esophageal cancer likely caused by undetected acid reflux after sleeping soon after my one meal.

I stopped after the cancer diagnosis.

#12     Nov 12, 2019
  3. themickey

themickey

Agree with the cold, going without food seems to increase cold sensitivity, fasting in cold weather - yuk. Possibly also making one more prone to catching a cold so fluid levels need to be high.
    Acid reflux, yup, hence the reason I have an afternoon meal only, if I eat late it makes sleep more uncomfortable.

Another side effect of fasting is bad breath.
    Also headaches when first attempting this sort of thing.
    Also irritability.

#13     Nov 12, 2019
  4. Umm, sounds like an “amazing way of life.”

#14     Nov 12, 2019
  5. themickey

themickey

Sure is
    mexico_andres_moreno_obit.jpg

#15     Nov 12, 2019
  6. themickey

themickey

Same thing can be said when trading goes into a drawdown.

#16     Nov 12, 2019
  7. Some of the negatives pointed out here seem to stem from doing this incorrectly. It is called intermittent fasting not meant to be a lifestyle complete change. Helps to boost weight loss and bring some balance initially but no one can fast as a lifestyle.

Sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis, definitely linked to the reflux. I have not heard of any regular fasting programs focused on late night eating hours. IN fact most programs will have an eating cut off time much earlier in the day.

As with anything in life, it has to be done right. research and avoid fad versions.

#17     Nov 15, 2019
  8. He has a following surprisingly enough. Little nuts, entertaining and informative as well. Just one of his random vids

#18     Nov 16, 2019
  9. R1234

R1234

I've been doing the fast 5 diet (Dr. Bert Herring) where you only eat during a 5 hour window and it works. I actually eat in a 6 hour window between 1pm to 7pm. I lost about 15 pounds over the past few months doing just that. But you do reach a plateau if you eat like crap in the eating window. So I added the Dr. McDougall diet during the feeding window and that broke the plateau. My weight is now basically melting off. The 2 diet plans combined seem to have a synergistic effect. Its weird but the low fat is helping me think more clearly and 'out of the box' to come up with new trading strategies.

#19     Nov 21, 2019
    destriero and themickey like this.
  10. That's a fair amount of weight you lost in a short period of time. I hope you took care not to lose (too much) lean tissue in the process.

#20     Nov 21, 2019