Fast market Lesson: Stops can get rejected

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by IAS_LLC, Feb 6, 2018.

1. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

So my trading platform/system was trading for the first time in a fast market today (I shut it down for the last couple of days, out of fear). Market taught me a lesson, and exposed a flaw in my execution logic: The market will reject stop orders if the market is already below the stop price, leaving a position un-hedged. I should have known this.... but I didn't, and almost got bit. Fortunately, I was paying attention and was able to manually step in quickly and turned a 80 tick loss into a 20 tick gain (via luck, not skill).

Moral of the story.... be careful out there, especially when you're auto-trading and your system is walking into unfamiliar territory.

VPhantom likes this.
  2. sss12

sss12

ok maybe I'm missing something.....

d08 and athlonmank8 like this.
  3. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

What do you mean? I entered a bracket order, got filled on opening leg, but the the market blew through where my stop would have been before it hit the exchange. I assumed I would just get a market order in this situation, but rithmic or cme rejected the stop

VPhantom likes this.
  4. sss12

sss12

you would get the market fill if you had a standing order in place.

athlonmank8 likes this.
  5. Not necessarily. A fast market can jump a stoploss order. Even a stop loss needs a counter party to trade with. If everyone is running for the hills and price has moved far from your stop it may never fill.

murray t turtle likes this.
  6. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

I think the stop rests on rithmics servers, until the open is filled. If the burst that filled the open took the market down through where the stop is supposed to be(which is what I believe happened), the stop never would get a chance to rest on the exg. Can't rest the stop prior to the open getting filled.

7. John9999

John9999

I hear you... I had a stop that blew straight thru my limit and executed at a much lower price to exit my long on NQ trade yesterday... UGLY!

but this is the very first time it has happened in over a year that I can recall... it is rare and I still firmly believe in stops on every trade

8. sss12

sss12

I meant in general..the OP's order essentially was never placed since the market had moved past the limit level.

9. sss12

sss12

a stop or a stop limit order ?

VPhantom and d08 like this.
  10. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

Correct, and I got a reject message to inform me of such....but, like a fool, I didn't plan for this situation and was left unhedged for a bit.

#10     Feb 6, 2018