Fast Internet outside colo?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by WinstonTJ, Feb 9, 2010.

1. I'm in NYC and connecting to a server in NYC and my quote & execution servers (both primary and backup) are in the same primary and backup Data Centers as my ISP.

Speedtest.net and Pingtest.net are mapping to my ISPs base location but it's essentially a VLAN to my quote/data/ISP servers, etc.

Regardless, does anyone else have a decent fast internet connection in their home and what do you pay for loop charges?

Thx.

#11     Feb 9, 2010
  2. You shouldnt worry. You have what we call in Europe leased line and this is routing made by wire not by networking devices (modems/cisco router).

$500 for simmetrical 100Mbs!! this is super-duper price.

In London an individual can buy up to 2Mbs and will pay around £2000 for that (may be there were some recent changes not sure).

this is not some Internet other people talking here... You bought something very different. So the price is different.. And it is fantastically low!

#12     Feb 13, 2010
  3. dcvtss

dcvtss

You are talking about a point to point E-1, that's totally different from what he has.

#13     Feb 13, 2010
  4. May be... Is there other people's traffic in his "local loop" thingy ?

#14     Feb 13, 2010
  5. Which server is in NYC? It looks very fast for trading.

#15     Feb 14, 2010
  6. is that directed at me? my quotes & execution servers are all in NYC. My "loop" goes from a data center < 1/2 mile from my apartment and the quote and execution servers are both in the same data center as my ISP.

It's pretty cool to have fast internet like this at home - especially since my retail/internet line (time warner cable) sucks and has been down for about 3 days now.

I'm also interested in learning about Google's efforts to bring retail 1Gb/sec lines to residential. Will be interesting but probably best to stick with a tier 1 business line.

#16     Feb 14, 2010
  7. dcvtss

dcvtss

Logically no, physically...maybe, which by the way is the same for an E-1 or any other leased line no matter what the ISP sales staff tells you. At some point the traffic is multiplexed or converted to IP to route the core. Wikipedia has a pretty good primer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Ethernet. I have experience with the MPLS implementation but there are other ways to do it.

#17     Feb 14, 2010
  8. i am going back to trading remotely in the past I tried time warner, cable vision, verizon fios and I have to say verizon is stable, never had any problems although you pay a bit higher of a price for them

#18     Feb 14, 2010
  9. Yes, the previous Q is to you.

So at this point the execution/data server is acting as relay before it send your orders to the exchange(if world wide).

#19     Feb 15, 2010
  10. Yes - I think I have 3-4 hops to the exchange but can't really tell 100% for sure. Very few have the luxury of sending order flow directly into an exchange without going through an execution server and I am not one of those people.

Trades go from me through my ISP's box to an execution server, through another ISP's box to whatever exchange. Whether you are retail or prop you need to pass through an execution server so that your position will show, risk & compliance can run the trade (things like buy power & shorts/borrow locates, etc.). Depending on your ISP and your broker you can have several more hops to the actual market center.

Short answer - yes i have an execution server that processes & sends orders to the exchange

#20     Feb 15, 2010