Fast food places now getting applications from people with bachelors degrees

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Absolutely agree

vocational training would be the best choice for many

I'm a diesel mechanic,I make 80,000 a year and could make more if i wanted to as there is no shortage of overtime available

Auto mechanics make 80,000 -100,000 a year on average.

Right now business is crazy as nobody is buying new cars but are having their old cars fixed and maintained

My best bud is an AC guy.Makes over 100,000 grand a year.he charges 4,000 for a new AC unit,the unit costs him 1,200.it takes
    him 1 days labor and 100.00 to pay his assistant,the rest is all profit.He charges 75.00 just to pull into your driveway .he is always backed up from too much work

most vocations take only a year of school and about 2 years on the job training.School at community colleges cost about 3,000 -4,000 a year,much less then a bachelors degree.At most community colleges most vocational classes count toward their associates degrees if you later want to get a bachelors.you're paid around 20.00 an hour during on the training

#31     Jul 15, 2009
  2. It takes at least five years of experience in HVAC before someone can be knowledgeable enough to go off on their own. Expect to put up with a lot of BS the first five years for close to minimum wage. I have a four-year degree in construction management and work as project manager for an HVAC contractor. I still had to go through a five-year apprenticeship with the pipefitters union.

There really is no shortage of techs like these contractors claim. People are paying $10-20k in trade school tuition to start off making $8/hr. Unions won't be accepting your application for apprenticeship unless you're somebody's brother in law. They had to accept me because I had a degree.

Diesel mechanic isn't a bad gig though.

#32     Jul 15, 2009
  3. Well Thanks for that. Even better would be to call your local store and ask them for the number of either the district manager or the franchise office. Call them up and ask them why they deceive the customers and charge a delivery charge and don’t even give it to the driver.

The sad part is, a lot of drivers don’t even care. A few years ago I sent a letter to all of my elected officials about it and got personal phone calls and letters back from them as well as the director of the county’s consumer protection division. They were all really interested in doing something about it. I even met in person with a legislator about it. He said to start getting other drivers to sign petitions and get ready for a legislative fight. But then I talk to the other drivers and they don’t give a crap. The company robs them $2 on every delivery and nobody even cares. I think this is typical of the little guy nowadays. Nobody cares anymore, they just acccept it and get screwed because they don’t feel like fighting a fight that they’ll probably lose. Also they didn’t want to jeopordize their jobs. So when the legislative session came aroung, I never called him back because I couldn’t get any support. I mean it’s not exactly on par with civil rights or woman’s suffrage, but it’s something that’s wrong that should and could have been corrected had people just cared about it.

The only way you are going to beat company’s like these is to open a competing business, treat your employees and customers good, and take the business away from these other company’s. I fear there aren’t too many people like this left though.

#33     Jul 15, 2009
  4. Pizza Hut initiated a $2.50 delivery charge when gasoline spiked to $4 last year. But as gas fell back, they maintain the charge.

Until now, I hadn't known they were simply taking advantage of the situation and the pain of others to shamefully pad profits.

So long as the deliver charge remains, I'll certainly never have Pizza Hut deliver again.... considering boycotting them, too.

Bum deal... delivery people getting hosed like that.

#34     Jul 15, 2009
  5. In Houston there is a shortage of quilified HVAC techs

My friend who does it was on his own after about 3 years working with an AC company

Tuition is also not that high unless the student is a fool and go's to one of those private schools.I paid about 2,500 for tuition ,books and tools for my certificate.tuition for the CC's is currently about 2,000 for most certificates and about 1,000 for books and tools

I know more about the auto and diesel market and there is certainly a shortage of techs

#35     Jul 15, 2009
  6. That’s the story of business nowadays. Instead of just raising their prices, they tack on a hidden charge that everybody thinks is a tip, but isn’t. The little guy doesn’t do anything because he’s afraid to lose his job, or just doesn’t care.

#36     Jul 17, 2009
  7. 16 states with unemployment @ 10%, one with unemployment at 15%.

Jobs are still being slashed across the country with the very true possablibity of 13% nation wide.

Of course people are gona do what they can to make money, fastfood, dig ditches.

Economy is going to be a "JOBLESS" recovery. PERIOD. The unemployment numbers will stay above 10% nation wide for a decade or more.

This is not brain surgery or rocket science. We have test case's to proove the theory of a jobless recovery and a lost decade of wealth.

Do you research and figuer out what years and what countries have shown how bad a bubble can pop and leverage can unwind.

I Dump'd more money into oil at 58s.......up 38% for the Quarter, up 22% for the year. Every dip in Agi and Oil, I'm putting as much access cash as I have to work......

#37     Jul 17, 2009

8. Stephan, this is the same as some private country clubs who have weddings. In a private country club that is open for public wedding party, this is how that works.
    The bill for the wedding is $30,000. They add 20% gratuity.
    That is $6000.00 gratuity. There are 12 server who work that wedding. The country club pays $125.00 each server for each wedding, with $2.13 for hour.
    12 servers with each given $125.00 is $1500.00

$6000.00 gratuity to the bill
    _
    $1500.00 gratuity for servers

But this is legal.

Bartending is much better money than a server because all tips you keep, and you do not have to be 21 to bartend. Sometimes 3 times more than a server for one night. It is a good job to pay for school, or for you Stephan if you want to save money for a business.

#38     Jul 17, 2009
  9. You bet. Sell all rallys (like the current one).
    Obama has no clue for economic prosperity.

#39     Jul 17, 2009
  10. NEXT UP:
    Fast food places now getting applications from people with MASTERS degrees

#40     Jul 17, 2009