Fast food places now getting applications from people with bachelors degrees

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Jul 14, 2009.

1. clacy

clacy

Regardless of whether this poster "went" or not, his post is correct.

Look at the increase in tuition over the past couple of decades, relative to inflation.

These professors (many of whom are state employees), love their tenure, nice salaries and expensive "educational" trips overseas at the expense of the student.

#21     Jul 14, 2009
  2. S2007S

S2007S

Oh no I went, graduated and did what society says you should do until after the fact you wake up one day and realize its just a business, im still paying off my student loans.

Aside from that look at all the people rushing back into classes over the last 2 years to change majors or because they believe that if they go back an opportunity will be waiting for them at on the other side of that additional degree they now have. What they don't understand is you can have the best education and if there are no jobs to fulfill that position than what is that degree really worth, with so many skilled people now on the prowl for jobs, the job market is extremely tight with over qualified individuals. Going back to school to further your education will only saturate a market place where people are now applying for the same job making it even more difficult to get that job you just thought you could get because you paid $100K for your piece of paper. The rapidly changing job market has people trying to play catchup with skills that they need to move ahead in this economy, however with an economy falling behind and more businesses going bankrupt everyday, will only cause many to question themselves into thinking their skills aren't up to par when in reality its the downturn in the economy creating this type of thinking. To think that in only the last 12-18 months we lost 9 years of job growth.

#22     Jul 14, 2009
  3. In Germany, becoming a highly skilled trade is still view favorably.

In fact, if one is not excelling academically by the time they're in the latter stage of high school, students are steered into such vocational training.

I agree that many colleges churn out worthless (as in practical terms) degreed masses, and that colleges are going to suffer a rough patch now that a degree, even from a highly esteemed university, that doesn't connote practical skills and specialization, is not a guarantee for employment (even the latter is not, today).

#23     Jul 14, 2009
  4. Why in the world would you want to do that? Actually spend time in school to train students free of charge to be able to do a vocation. But then we wouldn’t know what the capital of Vermont is?

#24     Jul 14, 2009
  5. pma

pma

My 17 year old had an interview for a job the other day at the local burger king. The manager said she gets about 40 apps. a day now! :eek:

#25     Jul 15, 2009
  6. most people on ET are stupid and got low SATs.
    If they had high SATs and went to Harvard, MIT, Princeton, etc. they would understand. They would have good jobs and not use credit cards to day trade. They would understand that Ayn Rand's objectivism is a junk philosophy. But this is ET, where people in Iowa who blow out 5k accounts like to post.

Keep being losers.

#26     Jul 15, 2009
  7. Hard to know someone that got laid off when all your peers are in high school.

#27     Jul 15, 2009
  8. About 20% of workers are employed by government, including federal, state, and local government jobs. While there have been a few isolated layoffs of government workers, there has been no significant net reduction in total government employment, as small reductions in one locality are more than offset by growth in government employment in other localities.

That means that the roughly 10% unemployed (which does not include those who have been compelled by circumstance to take part time work or are underemplyed despite excellent experience and skill sets) all come from the 80% of total jobs in the private sector. The real unemployment rate among non-government workers, those who actually create the wealth of the society, is really at least 12.5% (10% of 80%). As the non-government workforce continues to shrink, a downward spiral of decreasing demand leads to more and more layoffs.

Sadly, those in charge do not grasp how bad the situation really has become as evidenced by the recent comments of Vice President Joe. No meaningful government initiatives to halt the bleeding in private sector employment have been made or are contemplated. While a few government programs might save a few jobs as a side effect to their intended purpose, only action to address the systemic problems that destroy American jobs can create meaningful change.

Since no meaningful solutions are being proposed we can expect to see the downward spiral continue, as it did during the FDR depression, to an unemployement level of 20% to 25%. This level of unemployment will lead to an unprecedented drop in the American standard of living, perhaps permanent. No nation can prosper without a prosperous people.

#28     Jul 15, 2009
  9. I have delivered pizza for awhile. It used to be great, but not anymore. The last place I worked at (a national franchise) paid drivers $4.75 an hour. Plus they get 86 cents a delivery, which is nowhere near enough to cover the actual cost to operate a car so we had to pay for that out of our own pocket. On top of that, they charge a $2 “delivery charge.” Here’s the kicker, not one cent actually goes to the driver out of that delivery charge. A lot of customers are mad about paying it, and naturally think it goes to the driver (wouldn’t that be weird, a company giving the money to the person actually performing and paying for the service) and then don’t tip or tip less than they would have. Of course these are the tips we are supposed to be getting to bring us over the minimum wage.

So basically we get paid soon to be $2.80 below minimum wage and are supposed to get tips to make up for it, except people don’t tip as much because they are paying a delivery charge that goes straight to the company instead of the guy actually performing the delivery. On top of that we have to pay for the excess car expenses out of our pocket and all this time do a job that is rather dangerous. Not to mention that if my insurance found out I was deliverying pizza, they would probably drop me. And you know what? THERE WERE TOO MANY DRIVERS WORKING THERE!!! Worse off, more people were applying everyday. My manager would shake his head everyday and tell me how many people came everyday just begging for any hours they could get. Even if it was 1 or 2 days a week.

They couldn’t care less about the employees. If we didn’t like something or had a complaint, you know what they would probably say to us? Over there is the front door, over there the back, whichever is easiest for you to leave through, go right ahead. How sad this country has become.

#29     Jul 15, 2009
  10. Daxtrader

Daxtrader

Thanks for sharing that. I used to think the delivery charge goes straight to the driver. I figured people weren't tipping enough so they created a flat $2 delivery charge. Guess I was wrong. I'll be sure to tip more from now on.

#30     Jul 15, 2009