fast arithmetic and trading: a factor?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Batman28, Apr 26, 2006.

1. rosy

rosy

if you're still trading in a pit then fast mental arithmetic is essential. However, the order flow now is electronic and computers do the number crunching and marketmaking. The human makes sure the programs do not crash and changes some parameters

#31     Apr 30, 2006
  2. ozzy

ozzy

I also think this is important. The desire to win can play an important role in this game. But its not the end all be all. I played several sports at a high level, that didn't stop me from blowing huge amounts of money unnecessarily. Many other factors are involved.

#32     Apr 30, 2006
  3. gnome

gnome

Good thing there's more than one way to skin the market... You'd have missed bigtime on me. I was once offered a job as a forensic chemist, won 3 divisons of the US Investing Championships, and had a #1 rated investment advisory service for 5 years. And, "fast arithmetic" plays zero factor in my method. (BTW... Logic is not my short suit.)

Sounds like your ego is WAAAY bigger than your ability. :D

#33     Apr 30, 2006
  4. if your scalping...holding stock for a couple seconds to a minute..well, whats 20.55 - 19.17 * 1200 - 10 ?...huh..AHH! too late, the answer is 1646.00. You will have to do this kinda stuff in your head in a matter of seconds for every trade you take. Which is why I dont scalp.

- nate

#34     Apr 30, 2006
  5. gnome

gnome

There are better reasons than this for not scalping.

#35     Apr 30, 2006
  6. menelaus

menelaus

I traded equity options in the pit and math is NOT that important, yes you have to figure your hedge deltas quickly, price spreads, and monitor put-call parity relationships, but seriously, taking advantage of resting orders, fading smart orders, pushing long gamma winners, covering poor positions, and overall risk management most important things.

Screen based=math less important.

#36     Aug 31, 2006
  7. I havent traded options for a living, but on the screen during the day, I'm guessing its like poker. Is this at all accurate?

#37     Aug 31, 2006
  8. Are you sure this is right? -2 for a wrong answer and -1 for a missed question seems to make more sense.

I'm going to do the test in a few weeks. Do you have any more info about the first test and the kind of questions (relative more multiplying or subtracting questions, etc.) And do you have an idea about how the 2nd and 3rd test will look like?

Thx in advance

#38     Sep 6, 2006
  9. JakeMc5

JakeMc5

Actually i think you'll find the answer to that problem is -22993.45

Try this...

20.55 - (19.17*1200) - 10, that is the order of operations...

#39     Jul 1, 2008
  10. Or what about: (20.55-19.17)1200 - 10 which is 1646.
    ---

Yes, but because other posters have said that math skillz in

trading arnt "that important", my mistake is now void :D

#40     Jul 1, 2008