fast arithmetic and trading: a factor?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Batman28, Apr 26, 2006.

1. i understand maths is important when working with numbers in a highly fast moving/under pressure environment. no doubt.

im not going to sit the test, cus i know i wont pass it right now and u can only sit it once.. and i honestly dont want to relocate to amsterdam.. they have offices in london, but i dono why i gotta go to amsterdam..

eitherway, i want to trade for living and i don't care about anything else.. i feel i have a good system but im still too too imature to trade properly, its like im addicted to be involved somehow and make trades for fun and lose.. i just love action.. i just don't know how to restrain myself, i wish there was some overtrading rehab that could help.

of all the paper trades that ive made money on - none involved lightning arithmetic. all just pure fundamentals and basic probability.

i once tried to scalp and lost crazy. maybe quick maths helps scalping (i love to know how when its all directional) - and i love to meet a successful scalper.

#21     Apr 28, 2006
  2. Successful scalping has absolutely nothing to do with maths.

It's the hardest thing to learn and be consistently good at but as long as you have the connection speed and data feed it is the best way to make a lot of money very quickly.

Sounds like you need to start viewing trading as a serious business rather than an exciting game which can be profitable. Over trading is a hard thing to control without experience

#22     Apr 30, 2006
  3. smart people make money in the markets. people who score high on math tests also excel in many other things such as chess, poker, blackjack, video games, and even music composition.

great traders are keen on pattern recognition and can fire off thousands of correlations in their brain at any given stimuli.

afterall, speed is the name of the game in trading.

#23     Apr 30, 2006
  4. I only trade futures.
    Only superfast arithmetic helps. In fact, during trading, as I am much too slow to take care of this by myself, I have my computer handle this for me.

Don't forget, Refco mainly squeezes profits out of commissions.

:cool:

#24     Apr 30, 2006
  5. This is exactly correct.
    Trading is more about ** multitasking ** than speed math.

Also, the other point.

A person with the natural tools to be a great trader...
    Will have a long history of trading, poker, blackjack, sports betting, games, etc...
    Because they will be naturally drawn to other zero sum games.
    They just find that stuff ** more interesting than anything else **.

Quite regulariliy I evaluate people as potential traders (not prop shop mooks)...
    And now I just go straight for their zero sum game history.
    If it's not there... goodbye... this does not ** really ** interest you.

rm+

:cool: :cool: :cool:

#25     Apr 30, 2006
  6. gnome

gnome

So, if I told you I played pool, poker, and bowled for my living for the last 10 years, you might be interested?

#26     Apr 30, 2006
  7. I saw Andrew Priston interviewed on Report On Business back in February, and when asked what he looks for in potential traders, he responded that he looks for those who are competitive athletes.

#27     Apr 30, 2006
  8. bellman

bellman

some of these questions are very, very easy and others would require pencil and paper and roughly 20-30 seconds. with only 6 seconds per question i would not waste time on a problem such as 43/53 + 64/21 which involves four operations.

#28     Apr 30, 2006
  9. He does not see that differentiation is the key to winning on the test with a low passing score of 55 out of 80.

#29     Apr 30, 2006
  10. No...
    By including pool and bowling you demonstrated that you have problems with basic logic.
    You missed the point entirely.

Perhaps you might benefit from taking Logic 101 or equivalent at your local community college.

rm+

:cool: :cool: :cool:

#30     Apr 30, 2006