Fan in workstation Making loud noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qqq, Feb 5, 2018.

1. qqq

qqq

Already looked up price of similar Dell workstation that would do the job & it is not cheap.

Around $ 4000.00

I am not trading but doing research right now.

#11     Feb 5, 2018
  2. toc

toc

Open it up and brush away the dust from the fan and other areas. Check the youtube vids on how to open specific model of computer or laptop. Type in the model name and do the search etc.

#12     Feb 5, 2018
  3. qxr1011

qxr1011

had similar problems and almost killed myself trying to resolve it

i found that fun increased the rotations when system was trying unsuccessfully to auto update itself

i switched from auto update to manual update and noise disappeared

but any attempt to even manually update (we need updats) brought the noise back without updates being install after hours of computer's attempts

what i found is that there were update available for my invidia card which i could update manually

after that update i switch to automatic system update and they all updated like a breeze and no noise anymore

#13     Feb 5, 2018
  4. userque

userque

To add,

Some folks, in this case, don't allow non-Microsoft auto updates when dealing with problematic cards...they always do manual updates.

#14     Feb 5, 2018
  5. i960

i960

It's a fan dude. Replace the fan, not the entire computer.

#15     Feb 5, 2018
    d08 likes this.
  6. ET180

ET180

Get a good SSD - one from Intel, Micron, or Samsung. Not sure why anyone builds PCs anymore with magnetic drives as the primary drive. Magnetic drives are great for long-term storage and large amounts of data, but SSDs should be the primary drive.

#16     Feb 5, 2018
  7. qqq

qqq

OK let me clarify few things that might help you guys figure what is actually wrong.

1. GPUs all 3 are fan less. No fan. It is low profile.
    2. I just turned the system on after 12 hours of shut sown with one GPU running 4 Monitors. No problem so far. But I did the same thing yesterday with just web browsing & no other programs running & after few minutes that fan was running like crazy. Right now I will see how long it runs with just web browsing.
    3. If it goes crazy again, I will take that card out & connect 2nd card which is cool for 12 hrs. If that does not ramp up the fan then likely that GPUs are getting too hot ?
    4. Other fans are running normal except I can't tell the CPU Fan which is very small & black & hard to tell if it is running fast or not.
    5. I have installed GPU-z sometime ago & I just checked the GPU Temperature & it shows 58 degree Celsius. ( 150 Degree Fahrenheit )
    6. Fan speed 47%

Question :

A similar video card came with the system which is low profile too but runs only 2 monitors. So if I want to install it how should I install drivers for that card ? Just on top of current drivers ?

#17     Feb 6, 2018
  8. qqq

qqq

7. Just installed HWMonitor = CPU core temps range 98 F To 125 F ( Running few webpages only & using one Video Card & 4 Monitors )

#18     Feb 6, 2018
  9. Mysteron

Mysteron

If that was mine then with the system running I'd put my finger on each fan in turn to momentarily stop it spinning so as to identify which one was generating the noise. Having found the defective fan then replace it if a new one can be obtained. Alternatively remove the fan and dismantle it and brush out the dust and debri and the reassemble it.

I had a similar problem with an old laptop when the cpu fan developed a noisy rattle. When the fan was removed and dismantled there was found to be fluff and some hairs clogging up the gap between the stationary armature and the rotating circular magnet of the fan. The fan blades could be pulled away from the armature as it is only magnetism holding the two together. Brushing away the debri was all that was needed to sort out the fan noise.

2017-08-03.jpg 2017-08-18_0004.jpg

#19     Feb 6, 2018
  10. qqq

qqq

I know exactly which fan is making noise. It is not CPU fan. Second, this fan spins at 2 to 3 times the usual speed when it runs almost silent & barely throws air that you feel.

I have been running the system with one card & 4 monitors today & so far it has been running with no noise for about 6 Hrs.

There is something that cranks it up & I suspect the video cards because it blow air directly on the cards. But why all 3 video cards are heating up all of a sudden ?

OR experts on this forum may have the answer. Looking forward to their input.

#20     Feb 6, 2018