Fan in workstation Making loud noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qqq, Feb 5, 2018.

1. qqq

qqq

Hi,

I have Dell T-7500 workstation that I bought in 2012. It is out of warranty & Dell will not renew warranty because it is too old.

It is almost impossible to get parts from Dell. Last time last year it took month & half to get a power supply.

I had minor problems after warranty expired last year & some great minds helped me resolve them.

Today, I ran into another problem & it is the Front Large fan that sits on top of another smaller fan. It started making loud noise & seems to be running faster than usual.

(1) I turned up my office air conditioner just to make sure the system is not heating up.

(2) I also took out the side cover so system is open so it gets more air.

(3) I blew air to that fan using an air blower to clean it out.

(4) I had 4 HDDs in m/c. One 500GB & three 3.0 TB. So I disconnected one 3 TB HDD.

It has quieted down now.

(1) But what if it starts again ?
    (2) What else could be the reason since I never had this problem before ?
    (3) What happens if the fan fails ? Will system sill run or it will shut down the system or create some other problems ?
    (4) Any other solution besides replacing the fan ?

Thank You

2. d08

d08

Harddrives tend to run hotter without side panels if they are located in the usual location. This has to do with airflow going from front to back (exhaust fan). Taking off the side panel stops the flow.
    Fan bearings are probably the problem. Expect it to fail. If it fails it's still probably okay as it's not a CPU fan, it won't shut down but expect higher temps.
    Your processor will auto shut down if temps get too high.

monet likes this.
  3. i960

i960

Dust collects on fans over time and after enough time they become completely caked in a layer of dust you must physically remove. If it's not the dust itself creating the noise then the fan bushings themselves might be going bad - in which case just replace the fan with one of the same size. Computer fans are cheap and easy to replace just; measure the outer dimensions and buy a new one on Newegg. Otherwise if cleaning it made the noise go away then you already have your answer.

gkishot likes this.
  4. i bought a laptop with the silent fan mode for that matter.

5. qqq

qqq

Hi again,
    I forgot to mention that I am running 12 monitors using 3 ATI Fire Pro 2460 Video cards each running 4 monitors.

It ran fine for 2-3 Hours and now same problem.

Hard drives have casing so that might not be a problem.

Since the fan is throwing the air directly on video cards, I took one card out but that didn't help.

Then I took 2nd card out leaving one card right now & that didn't help either.

Bearing would not make fan run much faster. I can feel that it is throwing air 2 to 3 times faster. Lots of RPM.

I wanted to get this posted soon so now I am going to put 2 cards back.

System is pretty cool with room temp around 75 degrees with A/C blowing air on back of system.

What should I do ?

I can't find that type of fan where I am located.

Meanwhile this is my main system. Only choice is a much older system that will do emailing & little web surfing job.

Should I continue with this system to see what happens ?

6. userque

userque

Driver issue? BIOS setting?

Read all of the comments here:
    https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/13547-cpu-fan-running-full-speed-windows-10-a.html

7. d08

d08

Check the temperatures then, GPUTemp should help. You can find out what the normal temps are for these cards or consult the manual.

8. truetype

truetype

Buy a new computer. Hardware is cheap. Time is expensive.

zdreg likes this.
  9. zdreg

zdreg

exactly.
    " penny wise pound foolish."

10. Metamega

Metamega

Never built a computer myself yet but aren’t case fans universal fits?

#10     Feb 5, 2018