Familiar with IB TWS settings ?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Q.E.D., Dec 29, 2021.

1. Q.E.D.

Q.E.D.

IB tech support could NOT resolve.

I upgraded to TWS 10.12, using "Classic." I've traded with IB for 20 years, so familiar with basic operations.

The upgrade permits BookTrader, & if I click on "Action," "Qty," "Type,: there is a pull-down ladder where I could adjust volume / quantity for instance.

However, clicking on a resting order's "Lmt Price," nothing happens. Previous, I was able to scroll up / down a pop-up and change the limit price.

IB support can't reproduce the problem, & for some reason has no knowledge what might cause this problem.

BTW, even on a Boardwatch / Quote page, I can no longer click on any field to see a pop-up with different values.

FYI: ver 10.11 works properly.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  2. ktm

ktm

Could it be a Java version/issue?

I saw the memo last week about the forced upgrade to 10.12 and I haven't yet. I thought maybe they would lock me out this morning, but they didn't. I get the security issues but I need it to work.

3. Q.E.D.

Q.E.D.

I guess it could be Java, but again, it works for 10.11, just not 10.12. And if so, I would think IB tech support would have asked to to check Java.

4. ktm

ktm

That sounds more like something that may have been done to resolve the security problem since it appeared suddenly - my guess is that 10.12 was only to patch 10.11 for the LOG4J issue. One area that was patched is the JNDI (Java Naming and Directory Interface) lookup functionality. That allows Java Objects to be linked etc... It's possible something in there was typo'd or not reconnected properly. If so, that would be a TWS issue and not related to the Java version.

This is all just pure speculation on my part. I run the same TWS Classic and I'll let you know if mine is working in those areas when they force me to upgrade.

5. Q.E.D.

Q.E.D.

Thanks. IB said they have not heard of that problem, nor were able to duplicate. But I've been hearing that "reasoning," since my first IBM desktop, circa early 1980s.

6. d08

d08

You can try to use the other Java version. Just rename the old one to the new. Highly doubt it's a Java issue though.

7. Q.E.D.

Q.E.D.

Thanks; will try after mkt close

8. d08

d08

Never used BookTrader but trying it now, there's no slider menu for Quantity or Lmt Price, only for Action. Using 10.12.

9. Q.E.D.

Q.E.D.

Interesting. For years, with many versions, always able to click on quantity or limit price, and see a slider menu. "Action" is the least likely to ever need to change - e.g., from BUY to SELL, esp not useful if one can't change the price!

10. Yet again an issue with version 10.12? I have read about multiple issues with this version. And had my own bout with it as well. IB didn't bother to reply to the ticket I raised about it.
    I went back to the most recent 9.81 version (.3g) and my issue has been solved. Unless I'm being convinced otherwise I believe that version 10.12 is garbage.

#10     Dec 30, 2021
    d08 likes this.