Falcons' Vick indicted by grand jury in dogfighting probe

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by brownsfan019, Jul 17, 2007.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

looks like vick is going to jail one way or another.....

#41     Aug 15, 2007
  2. sorry...but you look at guys like Vick, Pacman Jones, Odell thurman, even Leonard little who killed a girl while DUI, then gets another one a year later, Tank Johnson, Jammal Lewsi, the list goes on and on.....but for the last three years if you arrived here from outerspace and read the sports pages....You would think Barry Bonds is a gangster thug who represents the dark side....because he took what every other athlete was taking and doesn't;t like to talk to the press.

#42     Aug 15, 2007
  3. jsmooth

jsmooth

What are you trying to say....all these athletes are getting a pass, yet Bonds is the one that everyone thinks is the problem? I do agree about that.

As for Pacman, he has been a 'wannabe gangster' ever since he got into the league. I use to live in Nashville during his rookie season and I would see him at the bars every other week. He would always be there with well known nashville drug dealers. One of which was this rapper named Allstar who is signed to CashMoneyRecords – if you listen to some of his songs, he even talks about it “Pac Man’s running with us, so they color him bad, he’s officially a member of ‘grind hard’[their gang], so how gutter is that, east side heavy hitters all we do is trap [sell drugs]”. I remember one night, i saw all of them at the bars. Pacman was drinking goose from the bottle and smoking cigars all night long – and I couldn’t help to think, you’re a professional athlete, don’t you need to keep your body in top tier shape, and why are you hanging out with these ghetto ass people? I also remember the SUV their whole crew was in smelt like weed smoke...and at the end of the night, they got into an altercation with some other guys at a gas station a few blocks from the bar, and they were firing guns shoots into the air (that’s how it was reported on the local news the next morning). There was also another incident were Pacmans car was found & seized from the house of a well known drug dealer down there....Pacman's excuse was the fact that he just let the guy borrow his car, and he had no idea were it was or who the other guy was. All the rumors (around nashville at that time) were saying that he was fronting all these dealers money, and he was getting a cut of the profits.

Sadly, while all this stuff was going on (and he was making the local news every few weeks), the national news and NFL kept dismissing all this….and he finally had to paralyze someone (the las vegas strip club incident) before anyone finally stepped in with some disciplinary action. Hopefully this whole Vick incident will force the league (and teams) to come down harder on players; and before the situations spiral out of control. It’s a shame that some of these guys are the ones our youth (and fans) look up too and try to emulate.

#43     Aug 15, 2007
  4. I think the sports media has been a bit unfair to Bonds. Let's face it, most sports writers are annoying pricks who resent the money pro athletes get. With Bonds, they despise him because he violated their cardinal rule, which is that players must suck up to sports writers. they can't let him get away with that.

Another factor is that most writers grew up idolizing Hank Aaron, a pioneering black athlete who suffered some racial abuse when he was breaking ruth's record. It infuriates writers to see Bonds, who they consider a prick, to break Aarons' record, almost the same way that a certain element resented Aaron.

The steroids issue is nothing but a convenient excuse. Did any of these writers write about it at the time? No, they were too breathless over the home run exploits of Bonds, Sosa and McGuire. It was perfectly obvious to anyone that a large percentage of baseball players were juiced, but the writers kept quiet about it, just as MLB wanted them to. Steroid useage wasn't even banned by MLB. In fact, it was tacitly encouraged, given the money and adulation extended to the pumped up sluggers.

#44     Aug 15, 2007
  5. these other athletes are hurting others...Killing others...killing dogs, shooting each other....Shawn Merriman gets suspended for 4 games last year for steroid use....and finished 2nd in the defensive MVP race!!!!....Bonds crime? He won't talk to the ESPN reporters???? he's arrogant? Pompous? its crazy if you put the articles written about Bonds in the media compared to all the before mentioned athletes and heir ACTUAL crimes against society.

#45     Aug 15, 2007
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

the guy is a prick...they are just giving him back a little of his own medecine, and well deserved. Now he wants to grant interviews and treat people with respect....I say a little to late homey.

He is the best offensive player that sport has ever seen and perhaps we have ever seen in any sport....he is there with MJ, Rice and Gretski...hell he has surpased them IMO, but the guy is a prick and not to just anyone but to the guys writing about him, so they use what they use best in order to get back at him...what can i say....not to mention the looming asterick next to his accomplishment.....although I dont think steriods can help you hit the ball it does make you recover quicker from pain and injury which is a plus.....but the home runs he did on his own roids or not, I dont care what ZZZZZzzzzz says....:D

#46     Aug 15, 2007
  7. ...If being a 'Prick" was a crime, 2/3rds of ET members would be in Jail!!!!:D ...including yours truly!!!

but ted williams was a bastard...as was Damaggio...and many other athletes...would you rather deal with Bonds and ask him for an autograph and have him say, " get the fuck away from me"....or would you rather deal with Pacman Jones..Or stephen Jackson of the Pacers and even Ray Lewis...and have one of them or their entourage pull out a gun and start shooting?

#47     Aug 15, 2007
  8. Not a team player.

Let me ask you, how many World Series rings does he have?

Zero...

MJ, Russell, Rice, Bird, Magic, Shaq, Gretzky, etc. were winners personally and as a important team member on a championship team. Each of those guys made the other members of the team rise higher than they would have individually by their presence and leadership.

Bonds is a talent, but it ends there.

No leadership, not greatness as a member of a team sport. Baseball is not a fantasy league game, it is about winning rings in October.

If you want to talk individual sports, like golf or tennis, then you can focus in on personal greatness (though even in those sports we measure greatness by Championships).

#48     Aug 15, 2007
  9. ...and Ted williams, Ernie banks, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Dan Marino, .....I think that is an over rated stat anyway...Hell...Jed bucheluer and John Salley each have like 4 rings each.....but i don' t think they are in the caliber of the above....and Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypian, Brad Johnson and Doug Williams won Superbowls....but they are all pretty much scrubs...I see your point but i think that stat is a little out dated.

#49     Aug 15, 2007
  10. Could he have a warm home with Al Davis?

:eek:

#50     Aug 15, 2007