Fake victims...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by picknclick, Apr 9, 2003.

1. #11     Apr 10, 2003
  2. QUESTION:

Is it just me or does it seem like EVERY picture of these victims in the hospital form this war, previous wars and other misle attacks, always have their head bandaged up like something out of "when johnny comes marching home"??????....Let's be realistic...how could that kid have his eyes open and be alert when his arms got blown off????? Nobody else thinks it's weird his FACE has no real damage?...

#12     Apr 10, 2003
  3. Maybe Saddam just chopped his arms off. Or Tariq Aziz made him a test child for the latest chemical weapons program.

Actually, the U.S. version of the Information Minister of Iraq said that this was just a Baghdad special effect trick anyways. He said there is no real reason for worry about this kid because once he steps away from the green screen his arms are just fine. I believe him.

#13     Apr 10, 2003
  4. msfe

msfe

why do you call American news sources "western" ?

western European independent media retain their news from multiple sources and usually report events in Iraq far more correctly than CNN & FOX networks, who are simply parroting Ari Fleischer´s primitive propaganda lies.

#14     Apr 10, 2003

5. ...right, there's no propaganda in Europe!!! LMAO!
    You are dumb as a rock.

#15     Apr 10, 2003
  6. Sorry I didn't mention the BBC, Reuters, etc., but I meant them as well when I said "western". I don't make it a habit of watching the cable news stations, but the nightly news programs, including BBC world, never reported the Syria story or the fake victim story. And why are you taking issue with the accuracy of the reporting when the only thing I'm pointing out on this thread is the fact that there have been stories that have been completely missed? Even if there was a mention that would be better than completely omitting the stories.

And reporting the views of the Bush Administration isn't a bad thing. I think that Americans would want to know what our administration thinks during a military conflict, and they would expect that this information is given to them by American media sources. It doesn't have to be the lead story, but we should know.

#16     Apr 10, 2003
  7. How would he even know this to be true unless he was on the ground himself? Or perhaps he can give some significant examples of incidents or events in which the "multiple-sourced" European independent media got something "correctly" that CNN or Fox got wrong.

Holding my breath here...

#17     Apr 10, 2003
  8. here comes a cut and paste from the guardian....so now you know it's true:D

#18     Apr 10, 2003
  9. MSFE dares to defy TM's prediction??? I can picture MSFE searching through the guardian website, finding the perfect link, copying the link, clicking back over to the Elitetrader board, looking at this thread and scowling at the screen as he saw your last post:-D

#19     Apr 10, 2003
  10. Well, msfe probably is still sleeping away, dreaming of a world where Saddam was still in power. I'm still waiting for msfe to back up his claim that "western European independent media ... usually" - or maybe even in just one significant instance - "report events in Iraq far more correctly than CNN & FOX networks, who are simply parroting Ari Fleischer´s primitive propaganda lies."

Maybe tomorrow. I can hardly wait.

In the meantime, here's a report from an independent German researcher who reached different conclusions:

German media bias detected in Iraq war

9 April 2003

JENA - German news coverage of the Iraq War is biased against the United States and Britain and is heavily weighted in favour of Saddam Hussein, a leading media analyst told Deutsche Presse-Agentur DPA Wednesday.

The broadcast and print media have largely abandoned objectivity to pander to public opinion surveys showing that more than 80 percent of Germans oppose the US- and British-led war, Jena University mass-communications professor Georg Ruhrmann said in a DPA interview.

"Public opinion is against the war and that has determined the way in which the war is being covered," he said, adding, "This is a worrying tendency."

Coalition forces are portrayed as the aggressors in the war, he said.

"Often the German media scan over the fact that it was a repulsive dictatorship which led to this war," he told DPA.

"At the same time, the German coverage conveys the impression that the US administration is wholly unified," he said. "This however is not the case. Secretary of State Colin Powell and Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld stand for example at opposite poles of opinion."

The media professor at Jena University in eastern Germany said many broadcasters and newspapers in Germany had turned the war into "a mega-event".

"They focus on dramatic images and tend to overlook background which could put events into perspective," the analyst said.

"The problem is the failure to coordinate the flood of images with coherent coverage which includes insightful background specials aired in prime time viewing hours. That is wholly lacking on German television," Ruhrmann added.

"In addition, the German viewing public in general does not have a very profound knowledge either of America or the Arab world," he said. "And that too is reflected in the superficial news coverage by German broadcasters."

http://www.expatica.com/germany.asp?pad=190,205,&item_id=30334

His words were very mild compared to those of some other independent observers.

#20     Apr 11, 2003