Failures/Triumphs by Options Books that kicked your ass?

Discussion in 'Options' started by The_Krakenite, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Just as the title says...

Anyone have any winning, or "I give up" stories about a particular derivatives book that KICKED your ass initially? How did you give up, or did you over-come it?

I just thought I'd ask here, as I've read a couple dozen or so books which were not TOO difficult to comprehend. But considering most were from local libraries, that may be a no-brainer. Obviously, how hard can Options for Dummies or Options 101 be?

Today I'm trying to finish an online document that was posted elsewhere in this group in the past:

The Derivatives Academy

Maxime de Bellefroid

https://bookdown.org/maxime_debellefroid/MyBook/

Well shit, I'm halfway through and already feel lost like Alice in Optionsland.

I feel like I need to look for my old university calculus texts.

So, now that I've been knocked off my high-horse, and realize I'm further back on the Dunning Kruger curve, time to force myself to finish anyhow, then re-group in a year and tackle this again after hopefully learning something else in-between that. Haw!

2. MKTrader

MKTrader

What value or edge do you think you'll get from reading academic-type texts on options/derivatives?

athlonmank8 and jys78 like this.
  3. Cottle and his weird ass diagrams. That dude thinks differently

4. Trying to still get to KNOW what I DON'T KNOW. And there's a never-ending list of that stuff. Been told by x-floor traders you never stop learning options. Kind of like with Hold'em.

I am also trying to catch up in a book I've had kicking for a while. Option
    Volatility & Pricing.

There's a lot I don't know yet while rumming through this one... Definitely will have to re-read this one down the road again too.

5. MKTrader

MKTrader

To each his own, but I say you're better off learning an edge or three (they aren't easy to find), and focusing your learning in that context--how to increase your edge or decrease your risk. You can spend years learning about options and be no more profitable than a finance professor who writes derivatives textbooks but has never pulled the trigger on a trade.