failed XP updates

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alanack, Jun 14, 2010.

1. alanack

alanack

I'm unable to successfully install the two latest high priority updates on my Windows XP PRO laptop. The updates show having been successfully installed, but do not show up in add/remove programs, and come up again when checking for updates. The updates are

1) .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2(KB979909)

2) .NET Framework 3.5 SP1(KB982168)

It looks like I will have to uninstall a couple of the .NET versions and reinstall, but would like to be sure I'm going about this in the right way. Should I uninstall just the 3.5 and reinstall it, to see if this is enough to fix the problem. Or should I go ahead and uninstall the 2.0 version as well, as it's referenced in the first update? Also, what about the 3.0, which sits between these versions? Any help would be much appreciated.

Alan

2. I'm not 100% on this, but I would delete Remove each ".NET" entry in your Add/Remove list. When you reinstall ".NET", you will be reinstalling only the "3.5" and its updates... they are cumulative. And isn't there now a ".NET v4.0"?

3. Updates are fucking garbage. I was looking at something the other day. It was version 6 update 20.

If they can get their shit right the first time, or at least on the first update, fuck them and their junk fucking software.

If it works don't fix it.

4. Isn't that Java?

Many updates are to fix security holes as they become known.

5. Make sure you are running XP SP3. Microsoft will not be updating SP2 and back. Actually, I dont think they are going to do any more for SP3 either - but not sure.