Failed hedge fund manager goes into teaching investing

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by learner88, Mar 1, 2018.

1. toc

toc

Read this guy's wikipedia page
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitney_Tilson

Seems this co*ksucker could not beat the S&P 500 in "any" years of management when he was gobbling fees plus 20% incentive from the clients. His total run was roughly 4%/yr vrs 132% for S&P.

He is a grad from Harvard so obviously had smooth entry into wall street high flying jobs and had good marketing to lure and trap clients.

#11     Mar 1, 2018
  2. RRY16

RRY16

Mother fucker! stealing from the rich! Asshole went to Harvard, he even did some philanthropy, what a prick! How dare he. Should have just bought spy’s.

#12     Mar 1, 2018
  3. ironchef

ironchef

Perhaps on a "risk adjusted basis" his Sharpe is better than SPY so the financial experts would consider that superior performance. Anyway it is better than risk free return.

#13     Mar 1, 2018
  4. traderob

traderob

how many hedgefunds - out of thousands- made 132% over the same time.

#14     Mar 2, 2018
  5. ET180

ET180

Making the most money possible isn't really the point of a hedge fund. Hedge funds are for people who are already rich and want to become richer, but absolutely don't want to lose their wealth no matter what happens. Kinda like if you're playing football (or any other sport) and you're ahead by 24 points in the 4th quarter, you'll play a lot more conservatively than if you're behind 24 points -- at that point in the game, it's not about trying to put the most points on the scoreboard. It's about winning the game and not blowing a great position.

#15     Mar 2, 2018
  6. schweiz

schweiz

Maybe it should be "Kase is learning" and he should educate himself. :D

#16     Mar 2, 2018
    Clubber Lang likes this.
  7. You're missing part of the quote....

"Those who can't teach, teach gym" -- Woody Allen

#17     Mar 2, 2018
  8. "Those who can, do. Those who cannot, teach."

I hope this doesn't apply to flight training

#18     Mar 2, 2018
  9. I never gonna trust a man with a first name of Whitney

#19     Mar 2, 2018
    comagnum likes this.
  10. 3-day course conducted by Whitney Tilson on how to become a better investor cost $5000. I don't doubt Mr Tilson is an experienced investor but I certainly would not pay $5000 for a 3-day value investing course from a failed hedge fund manager.

I would rather spend 3 days reading Warren Buffett's shareholder letters free of charge to learn value investing from the Master himself.

http://kaselearning.com/

The Bootcamp will cover three general areas:

• How to become a better investor
    • How to become a better businessperson and entrepreneur
    • The mental game & life lessons

2018 DATES

• April 29 - May 1
      (The week before the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting)
    • June 12 - 14

TUITION

• $5,000

• The New York Athletic Club, New York City

#20     Mar 3, 2018
    soulfire likes this.