FactCheck.org: GOP “Pledge To America” Wrong On Facts

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hermit, Sep 27, 2010.

1. +1

#31     Sep 27, 2010
  2. You said

What estimate were you talking about because GOP pulled that number out of their ass - there were no estimates whatsoever.

#32     Sep 27, 2010
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

you're really doing your best to grasp at straws. you claim the number the GOP used was pulled out of their ass. why dont you go find out how they calculated it? or are you just pulling that claim out of YOUR ass? even if they DID pull it out of their ass, that is STILL an estimate, as is the one from the government accountability office. no one knows what the cost of the stimulus will be 10 years from now. not unless they have a time machine.

how fucking stupid can one person be? sheesh, my 5 year nephew gets this logic.

#33     Sep 28, 2010
  4. This is a bit surreal. Factcheck is not a credible, independent organization, but was created by liberals to rebut claims about obama in '08.

We can debate statistics all we want, but does anyone really think obama's plan is to shrink government or government spending(except bigdavediode)? Or that private sector employment is lagging? Or that obama's various stimulus schemes will do anythingother than pay off already overpaid government workers and increase our debt?

Don't tell me Bush ran up the deficit either. Of course he did, but he had to deal with the fallout of the tech bubble, created under Clinton, 9/11 and two wars. Did he overspend? Yes, of course, but a lot of it was pushed by democrats. Did he overreach with two wars? Yes, but democrats voted overwhelmingly in favor of them both.

Obama could have drawn down both wars. Instead, he is doubling down on a losing hand in afghanistan.

Anyway, the question is what we do going forward. Republicans have taken a stand against more "stimulus" spending. Obama is in favor. That is the choice.

#34     Sep 28, 2010
  5. YOU said that they estimated it but can't cite a single source, why do I have to find the source.

What kind of bullshit logic is this where I have to find proof for what you claimed. :D

#35     Sep 28, 2010
  6. The CBO does. "In August, CBO projected a slow rebound in employment, with the rate falling to just below 9 percent by the end of 2011, and then declining more rapidly to near its long-run sustainable level of 5 percent by the end of 2014." -- http://www.cbo.gov/publications/collections/collections.cfm?collect=16

Regarding the stimulus, the CBO disagrees with you on that as well: "CBO estimates that in the first quarter of calendar year 2010, ARRA’s policies:

* Raised the level of real (inflation-adjusted) gross domestic product (GDP) by between 1.7 percent and 4.2 percent,
    * Lowered the unemployment rate by between 0.7 percentage points and 1.5 percentage points,
    * Increased the number of people employed by between 1.2 million and 2.8 million, and
    * Increased the number of full-time-equivalent (FTE) jobs by 1.8 million to 4.1 million compared with what those amounts would have been otherwise. (Increases in FTE jobs include shifts from part-time to full-time work or overtime and are thus generally larger than increases in the number of employed workers.)" -- http://cboblog.cbo.gov/?p=967

And as for deficit spending -- "For example, if all tax provisions that are scheduled to expire in the coming decade were extended and the AMT were indexed for inflation, deficits over the 2011–2020 period would be more than $7 trillion higher." Ie. the Republican platform of extending tax cuts.

#36     Sep 28, 2010
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

follow me on this, bonehead. do your best to keep up.

since there is no way to say with fact what the bailout would cost in 10 years, any number assigned by anyone on planet earth would have to be done so through an estimate. therefore, i do not have to know how the republicans, or the cbo, or you, or santa claus calculated the number to know that it is an estimate, because 10 years simply haven't happened yet. and unless you compare how each came to the estimate, you have no basis for argument that one estimate is better than another.

i simply can not dumb it down any more for you.

#37     Sep 28, 2010
  8. The number was assigned by CBO, it wasn't made up like the GOP did - GOP didnt estimate shit - it was completely made up.

Read these lines a few times before dodging the question again, Chairman Tao.

#38     Sep 28, 2010
  9. Ricter

Ricter

Bookmark all you like, but I was not talking about job creation numbers, as you are.

#39     Sep 28, 2010
  10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

so the CBO has a time machine whereby it can go into the future and get the actual number the stimulus will cost in 10 years, eh?

both the CBO and the GOP are using estimates. both are "made up". that's what an estimate is, jackass. a guess. a guess based on various things - models, statistics, experience, whatever.

i cannot believe how fucking stupid you are. i just can't believe it. this has to be a wind up.

#40     Sep 29, 2010