FACT: You can be a profitable trader with just about any account size.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by FRuiTY PeBBLe, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Loxley

Loxley

What prevents someone from turning 2k or 5k into something much much larger? If you believe that starting with less than 50k is insane, that is.

What makes it possible to start with a measly 2k dollars or 5k and turn it into more? Is it sheer luck, or are there methods that work at this level?

I'm interested in both sides of this discussion, as I'm likely to NEVER have more than 2k to start with, and I know both sides have very good reasons for believing as they do.

Loxley

EDIT: And what are we referring to as "the good life?" Anything that lets me bring home an extra four or five hundred bucks a week would make me ecstatic

#11     Mar 16, 2003
  2. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

This totally depends on what you trade.

10k is really great in a futures account.
    50k in a equities account would be good.

More is always nice though:D

But you should have a huge cushion in case you need to not trade for a long time.....or really screw up!

#12     Mar 16, 2003
  3. you need money, discipline, and experience in that order. And to be successful you need these 3 in spades. End of story.

#13     Mar 16, 2003
  4. It is not nice to talk about Aphie that way....

#14     Mar 16, 2003
  5. In answer to the title of the thread... yes, you probably could be net profitable even with a small account size... but if you need to make a living, you need a relatively large account size... even $50 a day is a profit, but it ain't a living...

#15     Mar 16, 2003
  6. TGregg

TGregg

Absolutely freaken' LMAO. Obvious. On this board. That's very hysterical. One could post that buying low and selling high leads to good profits, and get plenty of arguements here.

#16     Mar 16, 2003
  7. If you trade for yourself, its MUCH MUCH easier if you dont have to worry about PDT. :)

#17     Mar 16, 2003
  8. From my experience, there is a gap between a new trader, and an experienced successful trader that is a very hard gap to bridge.

Most of watched Aphie unable to handle the initial losses, because he didn't have enough financial staying power to survive through the reality of trading (and he was scared shitless of losing what little he did have at risk)...which is losing, winning, hot streaks, cold streaks.

Most new business failures are do to underfunding, why should a self employed trading enterprise be any different in the need for capitalization? How many traders approach trading with enough funds to give them enough cushion during the learning curve, both mentally and financially, to make it?

Being undercapitalized in the beginning of a trading career is a near statistical certainty of a death sentence for new traders.

It is true that a successful trader can make money with a small account, but why would a successful trader even have a small amount of money to trade?

#18     Mar 16, 2003
  9. chicha

chicha

agree

#19     Mar 16, 2003
  10. fourcups

fourcups Guest

I have traded a account with 50k bp.My top month with that bp was 27k.My best stretch was 57 straight trading days without losing(after commish).I had the eye of the tiger back then, so its all up to the trader.To answer the question it can be done!

#20     Mar 16, 2003