FACT: The U.S. is bankrupt! Yes, bankrupt!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by mutluit, May 23, 2013.

1. jem

jem

right the problem is we have no list of which private banks own the shares and who owns those banks.
    so how do the taxpayers get the shares back.

The shares could be owned by a very small group. We do not know. Its probably why they say it is not for profit. There is no need for someones tax return to say owner... Federal Reserve bank.

#31     May 24, 2013
  2. Depends on the meaning of "bankrupt".

#32     May 24, 2013
  3. That's why the US MUST maintain the strongest military in the world. As long as we are the the world's cop, everyone will want our t-bills.

#33     May 24, 2013
  4. typical elite trader

they must be number 1

they have no self worth unless it is compared to somebody else

they can't conceive of being happy if they are just small

#34     May 25, 2013
  5. Humpy

Humpy

The prices of everyday food just goes up and up.
    For instance I bought a sliced white loaf yesterday, it cost me £1.75 that is about $2.60. About 2 years ago it was about £0.80. Just for interest what does the same sort of loaf cost in the US ?

#35     May 25, 2013
  6. The US government report I mentioned earlier released around 2003 actually asked and answered the question of what it means for a country to be bankrupt.

As I recall they said that when the amount of entitlement money promised to be legally paid to citizens exceeds the amount they can collect from those same citizens over each citizen's lifetime, then a country can be said to be bankrupt. I don't think debt costs were included though in the calculation. (Answer to question 1)

Is the US bankrupt by definition given in the report - Yes by those terms, it is. (Answer to question 2).

Question 3 is what needs to be done to prevent bankrupcy was very interesting as they attempted to grapple with the problem. Printing money was not the answer. However, now the problem is grappling with them I think and it seems to have the upper hand.

Perhaps things have gotten much better since that report though.

#36     May 25, 2013
  7. Varies greatly. If you go to the discount supermarket, you can sometimes find deals for 99 cents. If you go to a regular supermarket, you can pay as much as $4.29 if you get the good named brand stuff. Generally speaking though, if you don't care about saving money or name brands and you just grab the first one off the shelf, you will pay between $2.29 to $3.29.

#37     May 25, 2013
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

For whatever reason, this doesn't make me feel any better about our dire situation.

#38     May 25, 2013
  9. MrN

MrN

I am not sure if anyone mentioned this, but when you evaluate the financial condition of an entity, you don't just tally up debts, you also look at assets.

What are the US Government's assets?

-Direct assets: Immense amounts of land, etc.
    -Most powerful military in the world
    -ability to print the worlds reserve currency
    -claim on all private wealth in the USA via taxation
    -many more things I am not considering at the moment

The fiscal situation is not ideal, but I admit I do grow weary of the 100% negative story that only looks at the downside and debts.

#39     May 25, 2013
  10. It's my understanding that the Federal Reserve (a privately owned institution) and not the government has "the ability to print the worlds reserve currency" so that should not be included as an asset of the government.

#40     May 25, 2013