FACT: The U.S. is bankrupt! Yes, bankrupt!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by mutluit, May 23, 2013.

1. mutluit

mutluit

An analysis by Forbes:
    "
    FACT: The U.S. government is bankrupt! Yes, bankrupt. Skeptical? Ok, I’ll provide some facts and you decide.
    The government has an “official” debt of $15.8 trillion and mounting. But wait, there’s more. This doesn’t include the liability from Social Security and Medicare. When you factor these in, the amount according to some, exceeds $120 trillion. With U.S. Federal tax revenue of just over $2.3 trillion, that puts our debt-to-income ratio somewhere around 5,082%. Now let me ask you. If you, as an individual, entered your local bank and asked for a loan with a similar debt-to-income ratio, what do you think the loan officer would say? Would they give you the loan?
    "
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikepatton/2012/07/23/is-america-bankrupt/

2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

you are saying that social security and medicare liability is $400,000/person in the US?

3. If I had my very own printing press at home... sure! Remember, default will never actually happen because the U.S. gov't doesn't owe money... it owes <b>dollars</b>.

4. mutluit

mutluit

Yes, exactly:
    120 trillion / 300 million = 400,000

5. the reason rates are so low is because it keeps debt interest debt.

6. If I made $100 bills on my computer and everyone in the world accepted them as payment, knowing how I made them, do you think I could ever be bankrupt?

7. mutluit

mutluit

Soon all Americans will be millionaires, if not billionairs!

...like in Zimbabwe... :)

8. vicirek

vicirek

it is a problem for creditors not the US

9. mutluit

mutluit

Is Obama saying this?

10. No. Ultimately this all spells bankruptcy for nearly ALL Americans.

#10     May 23, 2013