Facing our demons

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Old School, Nov 18, 2006.

1. There are no demons. You are responsible for your behavior. You describe your life. It is the life you picked. It is the life you create.

Step one = take your life back from alcohol.

#11     Nov 19, 2006
  2. that is my #2 demon; the #1 is i get pissed when i miss a fill on a huge winner or i cant get out a winner/loser in time and give back all my profits or take much larger losses than i expected: that typically send me in tilt and ruins my day completely. i have improved lately and am more collected but i still fell me pulse racin' non stop and then do revenge tradin' that more often than not yields bad results.

#12     Nov 19, 2006
  3. lol,

Last night when I started the post, I was drunk. :D

I didn't mean to imply that my demon was alcohol. I was just having a few on a saturday night and this topic came to me.

Some good responses. Let's see if we can tackle a few today.

#13     Nov 19, 2006
  4. ksonsinc,

That comment is the whole problem isn't it? Further, if you learn from your mistakes but then "do it again", did you really learn from it? Some humans learn but can't follow the lessons learned. It's when we finally start putting our lessons into our trading that traders improve significantly.

Thus my battle cry,

"It's not that we don't know what to, we can't do what we know"

#14     Nov 19, 2006
  5. acronym,

lol - cute, but not what I was referring to. By the "dark side" I meant that we as traders will always have our demons lurking in our heads ready to mess with us. That we MUST as traders always be vigilant to our demons or else hear ourselves saying, "^%$@#$! I did it AGAIN!"

As an example, say your demons are trading in low vol markets because you're a trader with the "need for action" demon. Recognizing this, you've set up some defenses against it. Let's use a simple T/A indicator as an example. We use a range indicator or somethingelse to tell us if a particular market passes the test. Further, we see that it does not meet our criteria. Some of us get married to not positions but to enter positions. So here you are looking at a mkt you should not be trading, but our "need for action" demon convinces you that this is an exception. For whatever reason your demon implants into your head, you take the trade.

We know the results of course.

Just one example, perhaps not the best, but I think the point is clear. Our demons are never quite defeated in imho, they are a part of us and therefore we must always be vigilant that its ugly head doesn't pop up exactly at the worst times, as it's usually the case. Yes, I am one that feels when you break the rules, the markets make you pay for it in spades.

#15     Nov 19, 2006

6. Overtrading: Probably in the all time top 5 if not top 3 list of demons.

The problem when facing our demons is that we have over 4 billion - is it 5 billion now? - human beings on the planet with as many personalities. I found in many cases, the same demon attacks traders differently based on each trader's personality traits.

Some desire action, some have a fear of missing trades, some are ego traders and need to be in something every tic, something for everyone. We see why the demons are so good at what they do. They prey upon our weaknesses as individuals. Bassturds.

#16     Nov 19, 2006
  7. See my comment about alcohol above and you are one of the lucky ones without any demons. :cool:

#17     Nov 19, 2006
  8. No, yes, yes, yes, yes.

It's #2 that seperates the men from the boys in my book. The moment in your life when you can actually "do it" rather than talk about it. Yup, difficult indeed - for most of us anyway.

lol - no more comments about that.

#18     Nov 19, 2006
  9. Ask this:
    What % of fills in your career will you get the price you want? Lot lower than what we want. Consider how much it costs you in opportunity cost for not being in the zone for the rest of the day. Is it worth it in the long run? Sometimes a new perspective on a condition may be just enough to break through.

#19     Nov 19, 2006
  10. a note:

I do not profess to be Tudor Jones nor some trading shrink guru.

Take all this with a grain of salt. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Your mileage will vary. :cool:

#20     Nov 19, 2006