Facebook's Zuckerberg fighting hard to send most user's data to NSA.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by wilburbear, Apr 14, 2018.

1. jinxu

jinxu

What data exactly does Facebook gather from you that the government can't already get?

In all the news about this, I don't think I've read anything the specify what type of data Facebook gets from you.

It's not like I am giving them my SSN. The government already has that and my DOB and who knows what.

This sounds like fear mongering from the media. Maybe they want my relationship history or something. Hehe.

2. ET180

ET180

People talk on Facebook. Sometimes government might want to know about messages and who people associate with. For example, if one of my friends is a member of an extremist Facebook group, that might say something about me. If Facebook tracks your location (which is technically easy to do), I'm sure the government might want to know location data on certain individuals. If someone told me that Facebook was sponsored / setup by the CIA, I wouldn't be surprised. That would be quite clever actually.

VPhantom and d08 like this.
  3. d08

d08

That's an incredible naive and childish way to look at things. I think you didn't actually think it through here.

VPhantom, KevinD and schweiz like this.
  4. jinxu

jinxu

I have. All good points but if you want to single out facebook on locations or messages then consider

Cell phone companies
    Banks with credit cards
    Google or Apple Maps

Can all do all the exact same thing.

As with relationship I don't know how that info is useful. Don't be a terrorist and you should be 99% fine I think. I suppose they can get pictures but people share those willingly.

My only big gripe is their app. I know they use it to collect data from your phone but using fb on your phone is really convenient.

For the rest I don't think I care too much if facebook want to know what movies or music I like

5. d08

d08

People who say "Don't be a terrorist and you should be 99% fine" only consider current ways of how this could hurt them. Tracking information can hurt people in many ways especially as we have no control over many IoT devices.
    Of course these hearings are a typical American charade and will not result in anything but at least the issue is getting some attention.

VPhantom likes this.
  6. jinxu

jinxu

Doubtful anything good will come out of it. They tried their best with the 99% movement.

7. Macca1

Macca1

Facebook are forcing you to opt into them collecting all your data. Not just from what you do on Facebook, but metadata from text messages and phone calls aswell. They then sell your raw data to company's who use it for targeted advertising. Not just to sell products but to manipulate your political views. Facebook own your data, not you. If anyone profits from selling it, it should be you. Not them.

Saying you don't need privacy because you have nothing to hide is like saying you don't need free speech because you have nothing to say.

d08 and Stocktracker like this.
  8. FB is so fucking stupid
    90% of it is annoying housewives bragging about their kids or complaining about their husbands.

I never had an account but used to listen to my friends at work read some of the drivel. Made me want to puke.

Spooz Top 2 and schweiz like this.
  9. “If I maintain my silence about my secret it is my prisoner...if I let it slip from my tongue, I am ITS prisoner.”
    *Arthur Schupenhauer

"If it was hard for you to keep your secret to yourself, then do not blame others for reveling it "
    *No name

#10     Apr 14, 2018