Facebook's reach is expanding

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/11/03/google-to-index-facebook-comments-as-search-results/

Google To Index Facebook Comments As Search Results
    November 3, 2011 11:27 AM

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — If you’re finding it tough to stay off of Facebook, you may soon find it even harder to keep your words off of Google.

The Internet’s most popular — and powerful — search engine will soon expand its search index to include user comments on Facebook as part of Google’s traditional search results.

While private users will still be protected, any comments made on Facebook forms on other websites or public pages within the social networking site will be indexed and open for all the world to see.

The controversial change comes as Google looks to expand its reach to any user content currently hiding from its all-seeing search robots — usually in comment systems like the one used on Facebook and other popular sites.

While Google has pledged to take “precautions to avoid performing any task on a site that could result in executing an unintended user action,” not everyone is cheering its latest indexing tool.

Developers are concerned that the new effort could disrupt confidence for users who may feel uncomfortable leaving comments on their respective websites without revealing them to Google — and the rest of the Web community.

2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Never had a facebook account, never will.

3. Never say never. I had no interest in a facebook account, but decided to check it out once just out of curiosity. Then before you know it, you are checking out your old ex-girlfriends lives and seeing if they look the same or got fat, seeing if someone you knew from high school is a millionaire now, going through peoples family albums you havent seen in years and then getting those same people to trick you into playing farmville one day and then you are stuck harvesting virtual crops every hour, and before you know it...you've become a facebook addict.

4. Max E.

Max E.

+1

Never understood the fascination of looking at a bunch of peoples pictures who you dont even hang out with anymore.

5. Maverick74

Maverick74

To be fair, the site seems to have changed into park hookup, part networking and part small business. Guys use it to hit on hot chics of their friends. Small businesses use it as a cheap (free) way to create a business site. And networking builds on the same idea as hitting on hot chics except looking for a job.

It took me years to understand what facebook was. Once I learned it was a piece of technology, and not really a "site", it all started to make more sense.

6. Max E.

Max E.

I guess if you use it for business it might make sense, but until there comes a point for me personally where it becomes more useful then a tool to gossip about old highschool buddies i refuse to use it.

btw can you clear this up for me ans Tsing Tao if you get a chance? I am curious.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3349420#post3349420

7. maxpi

maxpi

my facebook account got hacked, they locked me out and I left it like that... If I unlock it it will just get hacked again, no?

8. Max E.

Max E.

Did you use an obvious password? I used to use my birthday as my password for a bunch of online stuff and never thought i would get hacked, then one day i logged in, and someone had sent a bunch of spam from my email address to all my contacts.

There was a site one time that I saw which pointed out commonly used passwords, or the logic behind common passwords,(name of dog, name of sibling, birthday, etc) and i was blown away at how many of them i had used at one point or another, for online passwords.

9. I already spend too much time reading/posting on this forum to want to use more
    - waste time - on Facebook

on the BBC Click technology program the hostess was saying she no longer
    bothered reading what facebookers did last night, latest recipe etc, but did still
    go there to look at her family's travel photos
    thought it telling that people might be getting somewhat fed-up with the minucia
    of other peoples lives - Short facebook