'Facebook Tracking - How to Stop It'

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Wallace, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish

The reason they hid the logout option into the dropdown menu in the last overhaul of facebook - after advertising was introduced - was to stop people doing it so often.

This way you are still logged in and racking up time spent on facebook. This "time spent" is what facebook pitch to advertisers when they say how many people are actively online looking at their adverts when in fact most the users are nowhere near the facebook page and have shut the tab. It's pure marketing genius and the advertisers fall for it hook line and sinker. Its simply a way of twisting the stats of how many users are online at once and how long they spend there as well as gathering their surfing habits to direct more specified adverts towards them.

#11     Oct 10, 2011
  2. fucking shit of a company, hope it goes bankrupt

#12     Oct 10, 2011
  3. +1

I sincerely pray that Mark Zuckerberg gets fucked by a cactus for every time he makes a dollar out of facebook.

#13     Oct 10, 2011
  4. i met a fellow-citizen girl in Cuba and when we were leaving she asked me to start this crapfase to keep in touch.why to this day no one sues this shit??if i want to delete it now i want to DELETE it!! áëÿäü!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!÷å çà õóéíÿ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#14     Oct 10, 2011
  5. Insurers don't use social media to assess risk yet, but they should consider it, said Mike Fitzgerald, a senior analyst at Celent, an insurance research and consulting firm headquarted in Boston.

It "creates a picture of how risky, or in my boring life, how unrisky [people are]. … It allows insurers to collect information at a much more detailed level," he said.

Insurers already have "pay as you drive" policies. For instance, just this year, Progressive started offering discounts to policyholders in Florida if they install a device in their car that measures how much they drive.

Similarly, life insurers ask applicants whether they exercise regularly. "I might say 'yes' on the application, but I can also give the insurer the ability to validate that through Foursquare," Fitzgerald said.

Regulations prevent insurers from directly using social media to set rates, Fitzgerald said. But regulations change. Some states once barred insurers from using credit scores to predict the likelihood of claims, but most now allow it.

Now insurers must tell consumers if their credit score hurt their coverage options or premiums. That gives customers a chance to appeal incorrect information or buy policies from a company that doesn't use credit scores.

A similar standard seems fair for social media, said Miguel Lopez, an active social media user in Miami.

Lopez, a programmer for a medical supplies company, said he knows his social media presence could hurt him if his health insurer, for instance, were to use the information to set his premiums. His Twitter posts often broadcast where he's having lunch, including restaurants like Kentucky Fried Chicken and Latin Burger And Taco Truck.

cont on link...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/i...dia-to-investigate-claims-1905184.html?page=2

#15     Oct 10, 2011
  6. pookie

pookie

+1

#16     Oct 18, 2011
  7. how about ditching FB altogether, it amazes me how people are willing to put their whole life in jeopardy by being on that silly , really silly and so vain website .

#17     Oct 18, 2011
  8. Gyles

Gyles

Just like friction is a "necessary evil" in our lives as it is "necessary" to help us move around and an "evil" as it causes wear and tear. Hence, trade2live, this is the main irony of Facebook, it is a "necessary evil" in many people lives, they cannot live without it yet complain against it. :)

#18     Nov 3, 2011
  9. I'm not against social networks, and neither the other people criticizing facebook.

Mark Zuckerberg is one greedy bastard who will stoop down as low as he can do without getting caught.

Facebook Admits Secret PR Move Against Google
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/43017686/Facebook_Admits_Secret_PR_Move_Against_Google

Mark Zuckerberg, the Facebook founder, has shot up the Forbes rankings of the richest people in the United States, eclipsing the Apple owner Steve Jobs.

http://www.techiespider.com/2010/11...berg-is-now-richer-than-apple-ceo-steve-jobs/

According to the Forbes list of Richest people in USA,Mark zuckerberg is richer than Google founders Larry page and Sergey Brin.

http://www.techiespider.com/2011/09/26/facebook-creator-mark-zuckerberg-richer-google-founders/

#19     Nov 3, 2011
  10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Simple to avoid Facebook tracking. Never sign up in the first place.

I haven't.

#20     Nov 3, 2011