'Facebook Tracking - How to Stop It'

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Wallace, Oct 1, 2011.

1. 'Facebook Is Tracking Your Every Move on the Web; Here’s How to Stop It'
    by Alan Henry Sep 26, 2011
    "Over the weekend, Dave Winer wrote an article at Scripting.com explaining how
    Facebook keeps track of where you are on the web after logging in, without your
    consent. Nik Cubrilovic dug a little deeper, and discovered that Facebook can
    still track where you are, even if you log out. Facebook, for its part, has denied
    the claims. Regardless of who you believe, here's how to protect yourself, and
    keep your browsing habits to yourself.
    The whole issue has stirred up a lot of debate in privacy circles over the past few
    days. Here's what the fuss is about, and what you can do to protect your privacy
    if you're worried."
    http://lifehacker.com/5843969/facebook-is-tracking-your-every-move-on-the-web-heres-how-to-stop-it

2. Thank you.

3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Thanks, I was annoyed by it too, and I don't even have a Facebook account, although other family members have. Anyway, in short here is the solution:

"the only way to really stop Facebook from knowing every site you visit and social application you use is to log out and summarily delete all Facebook cookies from your system."

Also there are apps that block the Facebook cookies, like Facebook Disconnect for Chrome....

4. i want to delete this fagsbook

5. Pekelo

Pekelo

This is actually not good, unless you run it after each FB use, and that is a pain in the ass. The apps mentioned earlier are continuous protection...

6. no kidding, I thought I was signing up for an online poker game and it was a signup for facebook instead. I hit enter and there was a picture of my ex girlfriend all smiley and then pictures of just about anybody I had ever emailed.

I just want it out of my life. I've tried to delete whateve I could find and I still get facebook emails and I report them as spam.

I'm a big boy, but I felt violated. I like my privacy. Google on the other hand is very smart. It knows if I google "crack" I'm looking for RBOB, not Billy Bob.

7. Well, I don't know what's going on but here's an example. My daughter uses my laptop for FB. When she done using my laptop, I don't know if she logs out or x's out the page but what's been happening is I've been readin some other blogs on the occupy wall street and there'll be a message on the blg post to link to FB account and have her name. I clikc this and I'm on her facebook.

My task manager doesn't show FB as running. I figure she has logged out but there it is. Then I log her out of face book.

This has happened several time. Weird.

8. Rule #567, the gayer it is, the more popular it is

9. Pekelo

Pekelo

FB doesn't log you out if you just close the tab. Thus if someone else used FB on your computer you can have access to her FB homepage just by typing in FB, or clicking on other site's FB links.

Personally I think it is a glitch and they should log you off after a few minutes inactivity, but certainly after closing the tab....

#10     Oct 10, 2011