FACEBOOK IPO M.O.-- screw the employees?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by tortoise, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Jealous can make people go blind.

Read reports until they substantiate their own beliefs.

Forget the obvious, hope for doom.

GOOG was "horrible" at $85. A "disaster" at $100.

Facebook will trade $800.

China will become involved.

Facebook will buy 100 companies; EPS through the roof. PE will fall.

I don't even like Facebook, but I see what is has done in the last few years. How can you ignore that dominance?

#11     Feb 4, 2012
  2. kashirin

kashirin

there is no monopoly here
    Huge number of people don't need or refuse to use because of privicy concerns
    There are a lot of people like myself who are heavy internet users but still can't understand why to use Facebook. email and Skype is more than enough

I believe it will fade slowly overtime.

#12     Feb 4, 2012
  3. I think I'll agree. Maybe not 100 but maybe 20 takeovers. There was an interesting post in the price action blog today about the impact of facebook. There is a link in the post to PC sales data

http://t.co/d6m5q1vc

#13     Feb 5, 2012
  4. blah blah blah. it is all stimulus !. yes stimulus. See how many people will get rich o/n ? On expense of pension funds, ie taxpayers.

same as internet buble.

this will increase consumption. etc

Consider it 100B+ stimulus, tax payer funded. Cash injection that works immediately !

#14     Feb 5, 2012
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

For the employees: There is an insurance called put options. If they are affraid of the stock going down, protect their holdings with puts.

I remember a paper millionaire back in the dotcom bubble years. His stock options were worth like 20 million or so, but by the time he was able to exercise them the company (and its stock price) was gone. Now he could have just bought a shitload of puts on that position. Sure, it has a cost, but so does insurance...

#15     Feb 6, 2012
  6. I was at a dot-com where we had options and people were always wondering when to exercise and how much. The main problem was that people wanted to do it all or nothing and at one time. There is just something mentally where your average joe thinks in those terms.

I would advise people to split it up over 3-4 or more transactions at different time periods: now, in 1 year, in 2 years, in 5 years.

Do you have a house you want to pay off? How much cash reserves would make you feel comfortable? These answers might tell you how much cash you want to be certain you get out.

When people start thinking in this way and understand that the future is uncertain, they can act to take care of what's most important without missing out on potential great gains in the future.

I think Livermore, when a new trader approached him to tell him he couldn't sleep at night due to some open positions he had, replied "Sell enough so that you can sleep." I think the same principle applies here.

#16     Feb 6, 2012

7. buying OPtions -Puts. will be prohibitively expensive. ie. if u have the stock and want to hold its value for say 6 months.. the puts will be V costly.

#17     Feb 6, 2012
  8. dudebro

dudebro

fb is a POS but it's not the employees getting screwed, they are the ones who unknowingly with the help of the criminal TBTF syndicate are going to screw over the 401k of millions of americans. fb'ers can dump their garbage after 6 months but 401ks are stuck with this trash in all funds.

#18     Feb 6, 2012
  9. gobar

gobar

housing boom fueled by FB.....

#19     Feb 8, 2012
  10. I'm moving to california in May just because of this IPO

#20     Feb 8, 2012