facebook fad splits stock for the 3rd time in 4 years!!!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Daxtrader

Daxtrader

There is a serious correlation between facebook and low self esteem. I remember reading a study some time ago on this, though one just has to surf facebook for a few days to figure out the type of people on it. A bunch of narcissists.

I found an old buddy of mine from middle school on facebook. We were like brothers back then so I was extremely excited to get in touch with him. We talked for about 15 minutes and have not talked for over a year now.

Point is there really is no need to go back into your past. Just move on.

It's also odd how people must log onto facebook at least once a day. People find it just as important as checking your voicemail or email, or brushing your teeth.

I think it's a fad that is taking longer than usual to go away. Friendster is history. Myspace is full of spam. I remember seeing many corporations would have myspace campaigns and ads all the time on tv. Now they have moved on to facebook campaigns.

Kids are spending way too much time on facebook. I remember when I was a teen all we ever did was come home from school and go straight to the park and play basketball or football with friends.

I see my neighbor's kids and they are on facebook at least 5 hours a day. If they are not home they log on from their phones. Hell my teenage cousins post slutty pics of themselves all the time and sing nicki minaj songs all day. Their parents are completely clueless.

Then you have all those stupid games and apps on facebook like farmville. What a huge waste of time. I seriously think facebook is a bigger problem than most care to admit. It's seriously fucking up the minds of kids.

Facebook also makes friendships and relationships so superficial. I think it's healthy to be away from friends and family. It's healthy to not know what they are up to, instead of peeking into their lives every day. Then when it's your birthday, people write "happy birthday" on your "wall" instead of calling you or coming to see you. They feel as if they have fulfilled their duty as your friend, family, etc.

Anyway, that's the end of my rant. I really hate the whole social networking era. We need to get back to hunting for our own food.

#11     Oct 4, 2010
  2. Facebook is my life

#12     Oct 4, 2010
  3. btw, its Eastern BLOC not BLOCK.

I am guessing English is not your first language.

#13     Oct 4, 2010
  4. Yeah I've played that farmville. I got addicted to it for I think 3 or 4 weeks before I decided to stop playing. Not really sure but there has to be some kind of hidden psychological mechanism that is triggered when you play that game because of the timer on the crops that makes you come back every few hours. Its almost like everytime you play, you are setting an appointment for you to play again. I know a computer technician who has played that game for over a year. He is very successful, makes over $80k per year in the silicon valley, but spends so much time on that game when he is at work. I get updates whenever he gets to the next "level". I say, "Dont you know what an incredible waste of time that is?" He says "Yeah, I know" But still plays it. Whats even more lame is he takes "pictures" of his farm and posts it on everyones facebook.

#14     Oct 4, 2010
  5. Facebook users 'are insecure, narcissistic and have low self-esteem'

By Mail Foreign Service
    Last updated at 10:43 AM on 9th September 2010

Read more: http://www.dail*****.co.uk/sciencet...c-insecure-low-self-esteem.html#ixzz11RKnGc74

Using Facebook is the online equivalent of staring at yourself in the mirror, according to a study.

Those who spent more time updating their profile on the social networking site were more likely to be narcissists, said researchers.

Facebook provides an ideal setting for narcissists to monitor their appearance and how many ‘friends’ they have, the study said, as it allows them to thrive on ‘shallow’ relationships while avoiding genuine warmth and empathy.

Researcher Soraya Mehdizadeh from York University in Canada asked 100 students, 50 male and 50 female, aged between 18 and 25 about their Facebook habits.

They all took psychology tests to measure their levels of narcissism, which the study defined as ‘a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and an exaggerated sense of self-importance’.

Those who scored higher on the narcissism test checked their Facebook pages more often each day than those who did not.

#15     Oct 4, 2010
  6. I could not agree more.

#16     Oct 4, 2010
  7. Most idiotic fads ever-

1) The pet rock

2) Facebook

3) Twitter

4) Chia-Pet

5a) Hippies
    5b) The "grunge look" in the early 90's.

#17     Oct 4, 2010
  8. #18     Oct 4, 2010
  9. Am I the only one to whom this notion sounds like a living hell?

Consumer society has metastasized from something serving human life, to something that has become a mindless addiction and ultimately a burden.

#19     Oct 4, 2010
  10. People will always be interested in other people's gossip/business, aka social networking websites.

I disagree with the opinion that facebook will be around forever however. Who remembers Myspace? It was THE social networking website until Facebook showed up. There will always be something new, something fresh, and something to grab the interest of the hipster to start a new fad. Some day soon, some college kid is gonna think up something new to replace facebook.

It cant stay "cool" forever.

#20     Oct 4, 2010