F : Possible Buy-In WTF?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by shortie, Dec 5, 2008.

1. karol88

karol88

shortie, I got same notice from IB a few times. Usually I'd cover the position before the close, otherwise they cover it for me.
    quite often i've seen a major short squeeze the following day so I was happy they 'informed' me :)
    no more holding overnight for me

#11     Dec 6, 2008
  2. Anybody seeing this happen elsewhere? It could mean an extended rally in stocks, similar to what we saw yesterday.

We know fails are throughout the system in billions of shares, and the 'authorities', and I use the term loosely, are under tremendous political pressure to enforce the laws.

#12     Dec 6, 2008
  3. my short F position is still intact. looks like it was a warning shot.

the position is not huge so i doubt i will lose a lot even in worth case scenario. so i will probably do nothing except read IB messages :).

i agree with one of the previous posters that too many people are short this POS. it is just a question whether i will be forced out of my short before F goes under.

#13     Dec 6, 2008
  4. The bailout is going to happen. Probably more than once. :) If the market is in a generous mood - hell yes - it could be nasty nasty short squeeze.

Guess we'll find out Monday morning. :)

#14     Dec 6, 2008
  5. I think your position is more than a 100K s*.

How come you did not share IB's warning with me bro?

I would have sold some ITM puts.

I think it will head higher soon (before tanking later?).

I just read that John Snow is in the roll of private firm owning Chrysler. There is a pressure on congress not to help a private company made of rich and defended by previous gov official.

If you were those rich people, what would you do?

Answer: take a position in the other 2. To hegde or to force a merger to get gov's money.

A short squeeze is possibly around the corner bro. If I were you, I would get my ass out or expect to have my own head on a silver platter.

#15     Dec 6, 2008
  6. man, you are scaring me. i am somewhat worried, but the position is not huge so i will probably hold on to it to see what happens.

actually, i am only now becoming worried about this share shortage business. on friday i did not think much about it. IB actually sent me two messages.

#16     Dec 6, 2008
  7. nam_mna62

nam_mna62

Brokers locate shares from internal and external pool and determine how many shares are available for shorting. If the long side closes his position, broker needs to find new shares to back the short position. If he can't then he will have to forcibly buy back the shares, unless shares will become available in 3-5 business days.

#17     Dec 6, 2008
  8. Cutten

Cutten

They were available when you went short. There's a chance they won't be available on Monday. That's how shorting works. Check the rules so you know the score.

#18     Dec 7, 2008