F.B.I. Scrutinizes Antiwar Rallies

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ARogueTrader, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Is this the same John Ashcroft?

In October 1997, then Missouri Senator John Ashcroft wrote an opinion, "Keep Big Brother's Hands Off the Internet" where he argued that "The Clinton administration would like the Federal government to have the capability to read any international or domestic computer communications. The FBI wants access to decode, digest, and discuss financial transactions, personal e-mail, and proprietary information sent abroad -- all in the name of national security," and that this policy "raises obvious concerns about Americans' privacy." He also comes out in favor of the Bill of Rights: "The protections of the Fourth Amendment are clear. The right to protection from unlawful searches is an indivisible American value. Two hundred years of court decisions have stood in defense of this fundamental right. The state's interest in effective crime-fighting should never vitiate the citizens' Bill of Rights."

Beware of PATRIOT ACT II, Bill Numbers, content, see http://www.bordc.org/patriot2.htm

Anyone tried to apply for a new creditcard lately?

After answering a litany of computer-prompted questions, he was shocked when the voice stated that due to the Patriot Act, all information he'd provided would be forwarded to John Ashcroft's team. These measures, the voice said, were to prevent money laundering, acts of terror, etc. He received the stupid card within a couple of days, but he's still appalled by the government's invasion of privacy.

#11     Nov 23, 2003
  2. Yep, and Attorney General Ashcroft is one scary guy.

Sometimes, I get the feeling that he and Cheney are the same guy, kind of like Michael Jackson and his sister Janet. You just never see them in the news at the same time.

Strange.

#12     Nov 23, 2003
  3. I've actually heard stories about the S.S. (aka Secret Service) doing this to protesters during the Clinton administration, but as those protesters were most likely scary republicans that should be caged anyway, I had no qualms about it. In this case it is a bit strange, since Fashcroft is essentially bullying some poor schlep who'd already had the charges dropped anyway.

Two reasons these activities by the S.S. & Ashcroft are moronic - 1)if I want to get into a "secure area" to set off a bomb or something, I'm probably going to have a sign that reads "Bush/ Cheney 2004" instead of "No war for oil."

2)anything Ashcroft does is bound to be borderline insane anyway.

I actually heard Bursey call in on NPR about 6 mos ago. He's a very bright guy. Bursey attaching $400 to the subpoenas is classic. I'll bet anyone here $100 that Ashcroft cashes it.

#13     Nov 23, 2003