Eyeware industry experiencing serious depression in profit margins.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wilburbear, Sep 5, 2010.

1. #11     Sep 6, 2010
  2. Similar to Progressives, Liberals, Leftists, Democrats.

#12     Sep 6, 2010
  3. Eight

Eight

not to mention the war on drugs, huge bailouts started by Republicans, the changes in taxation done by the Republicans in the '90's that resulted in 50 million households not paying income taxes, etc... too...

I had lens replacements earlier this year... I got fixed focus lenses for distance... then I discovered that I had to have glasses for every distance except driving... so I just hit the thrift stores and go through their bins of reading glasses every so often, I have glasses in the computer case, the backpack, the car, next to the desktop, I just have them scattered all over the place...

#13     Sep 6, 2010
  4. My vision before lasik was really bad. I was considered legally blind. I could not count fingers from 6 feet away, and that eye chart I couldnt see anything, not even the big letter E. It just looked like part of the wall to me. If I didnt have contacts or glasses on, someone i knew could stand right in front of me and I wouldnt know who it was as they would just be a blur.

10 years+ after having my lasik, my vision is as good today as right after I got lasik. Im not even close to needing reading glasses. When i wore glasses/contacts, my eyes were always getting worse every year(i needed stronger prescription), but this has not happened to me since I got lasik. Vision is still perfect.

#14     Sep 6, 2010
  5. That sounds about like I was.

When I was younger (under 18) it seemed like every year I would get an eye checkup and always need a stronger prescription. Once I was old enough to go on my own, I went for one more eye test before getting my driver's license in CA and then I told myself I was going to see how long I could go before needing to be tested again - I went for over 15 years with the same glasses at that point - only when they completely broke did I go for another exam.

I don't know if my eyes were really getting worse and worse as I got up to age 18 or if constantly getting stronger glasses made them worse, but in any event I'm glad that they stabilized.

So far the ICLs combined with LASIK are working for me.

JJacksET4

#15     Sep 6, 2010
  6. I seem to recall they were developing laser correction for farsightedness a few years ago. Instead of removing a bit of the lens from the center the make little slices around the edge and the lens is supposed to get thicker.

Don't know if it was ever successful.

#16     Sep 6, 2010
  7. ashatet

ashatet

Good quality of life, and natural life style growing up always helps, one cannot fight the genetics, but good life style can help you in many many ways.

I wonder who is going to pay all these doctors and lawyers and nurses and insurers who are a part of the monstrous health care system, when the people are broke.

Now, they call health care as different from eye and dental, just to dip in your pocket again and again and again.

#17     Sep 6, 2010